Pesto-Goat Cheese Pizza
- Prep Time 1:30
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $11.00
- 7 Comments
Spend a little time on a Sunday night making pizza dough. Put it in an oiled airtight container and stick it in your fridge. You’ll likely forget about it for the first half of the week, but then as the end of the week nears (and you find your wallet becoming lighter), you’ll remember that you have a canvas for deliciousness just sitting in your refrigerator. For this simple pizza, we just used goat cheese and prepared pesto but you could easily add veggies, grilled chicken, pancetta, or sausage without going over budget.
- 1 1/2 cups flour, plus extra for kneading and baking Pantry
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 packet dry active yeast $1.50
- 1 tbsp sugar Pantry
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for the bowl Pantry
- 1/2 tsp salt Pantry
- 1/4 cup prepared basil pesto $4.50
- 1 cup fresh goat cheese, crumbled $5
- Combine water, yeast and sugar and set aside in a warm place until it begins to foam (4-5 minutes).
- Meanwhile in a bowl, mixer w/paddle or a food processor, combine salt and flour. Slowly stream in the yeast mixture and add the olive oil. If using a mixer or food processor, turn on and allow ingredients to combine until they form a ball of dough. If you're using a mixer, now is the time to switch to the dough hook. Knead (either by turning on your machine or by hand) for 2-3 minutes. Set the dough aside in an oiled bowl, covered with a dish towel for 30 minutes. After dough has doubled in size, punch down and allow to rise for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F. Dust a clean, flat surface with flour. Using a floured rolling pin (or a wine bottle, in a pinch), roll the dough out into a 10" circle. Spread the pesto evenly over the dough, leaving a 1" border pesto-free and sprinkle the goat cheese evenly over the top of the pesto.
- Transfer the pizza onto a floured cookie sheet, pizza pan or a hot pizza stone, if you have one. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is golden-brown and the top of the pizza is browned in spots.