Pear Spice Cake with Molasses-Cream Cheese Icing
- Prep Time 0:30
- Cook Time 0:35
- Estimated Cost $16.00
- 5 Comments
This cake is sophisticated enough to end a dinner party (maybe with a scoop of maple ice cream on the side), but simple enough to throw together for an afternoon snack (OK, an afternoon snack for a small crowd). The molasses cream cheese frosting is a nice deviation from the typical vanilla and complements the pears and spices perfectly.
Note: soy or almond milk would work well in this recipe in place of the regular milk.
- 6 Comice or Bosc pears, peeled and chopped $3
- 1/2 cup sugar Pantry
- 1/2 cup brown sugar Pantry
- 1 1/2 cups flour Pantry
- 1 tsp baking soda Pantry
- 1/2 tsp salt Pantry
- 1 tsp cinnamon $1.50 for 1 oz.
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg $1.50 for 1 oz.
- 1 egg $1.50 for 6
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil Pantry
- 3/4 cup milk $1.50 for a pint
- 1 tbsp molasses $3 for 10 oz.
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar $1.50 for 16 oz.
- 1 stick (1/4 cup) unsalted butter, at room temperature $1
- 4 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature $1.50 for 8 oz.
Recipe Serves 8
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Unwrap the butter and set aside. Use the butter wrapper to grease an 8" pie or cake pan. Discard wrapper.
- Combine pears, regular sugar and brown sugar in a mixing bowl. Stir well and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Whisk in egg, oil and milk until batter is smooth. Stir in pears and sugars until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pie or cake pan. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely.
- While cake bakes, make the icing. Combine the butter and cream cheese in a food processor or with an electric hand mixer. Slowly add powdered sugar until fluffy. Drizzle in the molasses and continue mixing until the icing is a very pale brown color. Use a spatula to scrape prepared icing into a bowl and refrigerate until needed.
- Ice the top (and sides if you wish) of the cake and serve in wedges. Perfect with coffee or tea.