Pad Thai Cookies with Kaffir Lime-Basil Icing
- Prep Time 0:25
- Cook Time 0:12
- 7 Comments
Pad Thai features peanuts, ginger, sweet coconut, chilies and lime. If you ask me, it’s practically a dessert hiding inside a savory dish already. This unique cookie has a lot going on in every bite—sweet, sour, spicy and salty—all the elements of good Thai cooking. Pair them with vodka-spiked lemonade or sweet chai tea following an Asian-inspired meal.
- 1 1/4 cups flour Pantry
- 1/2 tsp salt Pantry
- 1 tsp baking powder Pantry
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature, divided $1.50 for a stick
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter Pantry
- 1/2 cup sugar Pantry
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed Pantry
- 2 tsp powdered ginger $1.50 for 1 oz.
- 1/8 cup shredded coconut $2 for 12 oz.
- vanilla $4 for 4 oz
- 1 egg $1.50 for 6
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar $1.50 for 16 oz.
- 1/4 cup cream cheese $1.50 for 8 oz.
- 6 kaffir lime leaves (or zest of 1 lime $0.50
- 6 Thai basil (or 6 regular basil) leaves plus more for garnish $1 for a bunch
- 1 tsp chili powder for garnish $1.50 for 1 oz.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Using the butter wrapper, grease 2 cookie sheets and set aside.
- Stir together flour, salt, powdered ginger and baking powder and set aside. Whisk together 1/4 cup butter, peanut butter, and sugars. Beat in 1 tbsp vanilla and egg. Add shredded coconut and stir well. Stir in flour mixture until a sticky dough forms. Shape mixture into 3/4-inch balls. p on greased baking sheets. Flatten each cookie with a fork (you may want to dip the fork in flour to keep it from sticking to the dough).
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely.
- While cookies bake, make the icing. In a food processor or blender, combine remaining butter, cream cheese, 2 tsp vanilla, powdered sugar, kaffir lime leaves or lime zest, and basil leaves. Blend on high until a lightly-speckled green icing forms. Taste and adjust flavors if necessary.
- Refrigerate icing until cookies are completely cool.
- To assemble, ice each cookie with a dollop of icing and garnish with a few snipped basil leaves and a dusting of chili powder.
Makes about 24 cookies.