Olive Oil Donuts with Orange-Ginger Sugar

Pizza dough donuts are one of my favorite ways to impress guests while putting forth almost no effort (and even less cash). While I usually just dunk freshly-fried rings of pizza dough in cinnamon-sugar and serve, this time I decided to step it up a bit, frying the dough rings in a combination of fruity olive oil and vegetable oil instead of pure vegetable oil, and dredging them in a sweet/tart/spicy blend of sugar, fresh orange zest and ginger.

Not only scrumptious, they were so gorgeous, they warranted their own Facebook album.

• ingredients
  • 1 cup sugar Pantry
  • zest of 1 orange, plus a little extra for garnish $1 for 2 oranges
  • 1 1” piece ginger, grated 0.50
  • 1 recipe pizza dough $1.50
  • extra virgin olive oil Pantry
  • vegetable oil Pantry
Total Cost of Ingredients $3

Directions

In medium bowl, mix the sugar, orange zest and grated ginger until well-incorporated.

Divide dough into 8 balls. Roll each ball into a 6” snake, and connect the two ends to form a circle.

Pour about 1” of equal parts olive and vegetable oil into a medium pot or deep frying pan. Heat over medium-high heat, until viscous (test by dropping a tiny splash of water into the middle of the oil—it’s ready when it sizzles).

Working in batches, fry the donuts until they are golden-brown on one side. Flip, using a metal slotted spoon or tongs, and cook on the other side until golden-brown.

Transfer the donuts immediately from the hot oil into the sugar-orange-ginger mixture and coat well. Repeat until all donuts are cooked and coated.

To serve, top each donut with a little extra sugar-orange-ginger mixture and a pinch of orange zest.

Makes 8 donuts.

SimplyMEs, on Mar 29, 01:23 PM, wrote:

I went to your previous doughnut recipe (sugar/cinnamon) and you mentioned the prep time was :40mins, including dough rising but there is no step about letting the dough rise. I’m new to this cooking thing, so I hope this isn’t a dumb question, but how do I make the pizza dough rise for the cinnamon/sugar doughnut recipe.

Gabi, on Mar 29, 02:41 PM, wrote:

Hey SimplyMe. Just follow the linked pizza dough recipe. It includes rising time :)
No such thing as a stupid question! xoxo —Gabi

Michelle BB {Munch}, on Mar 31, 01:24 PM, wrote:

I have never ever thought that you could just use pizza dough (although it makes sense it has never crossed my mind). I have also never contemplated shallow frying donuts. So basically you’ve opened up my world to whole new possibilities of sweet indulgences. Thanks! I’ve clipped this recipe to Evernote and I’m totally going to make it!

DowntownFoodie, on Apr 7, 02:37 PM, wrote:

Ooo, very creative. Sounds yummy and looks great!

prin, on Jun 16, 12:05 PM, wrote:

Hey Gabi, can I use lemon zest instead of orange? Please reply, anyone, if it tastes good.

GuruDissertation review, on Aug 15, 12:48 PM, wrote:

I am honored to learn about this Blessed mystic as well, just as I have been learning about other blessed ones. It is noble that you are getting us acquainted with all the blessed mystics. I am looking forward to learning more about others.

nike air max 90 hyperfuse, on Aug 18, 02:18 AM, wrote:

I don’t even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great.<a href=“http://www.hoply.es”>nike air max 90 hyperfuse</a> I do not know who you are but definitely you are going to a famous blogger if you aren’t already <a href=“http://www.masterrecursoshumanoszaragoza.es”>air max rosas</a> !

Kenapa Kemaluan Keluar Lendir Dan Berbau, on Jul 9, 08:28 PM, wrote: