How to Keep Produce Fresher Longer

I love grocery shopping.

I love making a list, plotting everything I’m going to cook with it later in the week. I love checking my pantry just before I go to see if there’s anything I’m running low on, and adding it to the list in addition to my weekly usuals. I love visiting multiple stores (usually Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, my local favorite, Nugget, and maybe once a month, Costco) because I like different things from different stores (there is, for example, no dried pineapple like the Dried Baby Pineapple from Trader Joe’s, no peanut butter as good as the organic unsweetened Whole Foods creamy peanut butter spread, and no ricotta that compares to the Bellwether Farms Whole Milk Basket Ricotta they sell at Nugget. What can I say? I like to have my stuff.

Food shopping is different right now, obviously. Stores are running out of staples like flour, beans, pasta, rice and toilet paper (side note: we have a cheap, easy-to-install bidet and we love it), and people are shopping less frequently in an effort to minimize COVID-19 exposure, which means longer stretches of time between trips. This is fine for all your shelf-stable items, like the aforementioned flour, beans, rice, and pasta, but what about fresh fruits and vegetables? A friend texted me a few days ago asking for tips to keep the veggies in her fridge from wilting quickly so as to support her social distancing efforts, and it struck me that other people might be wondering the same thing. Read on for my best produce-life-extending tips.

Store onions, garlic, potatoes, yams, and winter squash in a cool, dark place to prevent sprouting (in the case of the root vegetables) and to keep them fresher longer.

Keep apples in the fridge, as well as berries and any stone fruit you know you’ll eat soon that has reached ideal ripeness. If something is ripening faster than you can eat it. freeze it on a rimmed baking sheet, then transfer to a zip-top bag or other freezer-safe container and use for smoothies and cooking/baking (like this banana bread).

Store fresh leafy herbs in jars or glasses with a little bit of water, either in the fridge or on the counter, if you use it a lot. Change the water every couple of days.

Use produce bags, ziplock bags, or air-tight containers for anything tender like leafy greens. Wrap greens in a couple of damp (wrung-out) paper towels) and store in the bags. This helps to prevent wilting. Keep anything you’ve cut into (like onions or lemons) wrapped tightly. These fruit and veggie savers are a cute, sustainable way to keep opened produce fresh.

When purchasing avocados, buy one ripe one for immediate use and one (or more) hard ones and keep them on your counter. As soon as they ripen, refrigerate them until you’re ready to use them.

Don’t overlook frozen veggies. They are frozen at the peak of freshness, so they can be a great product, especially in the case of greens. You get a lot more for your money, since freezing breaks down the greens a bit, so a 16-ounce bag of organic frozen kale or spinach is actually several bunches of the fresh stuff! I use frozen organic kale and spinach in my smoothies every day, and I greatly prefer it to the fresh kind since you can get so much more in there. I’ve been trying to think of smoothies as the way I’m getting some good veggie nutrition during this time, since frozen fruits and vegetables keep for a long time, I can play around with flavors, and I know that a big green smoothie will be the equivalent of the amount of salad I would normally eat with a meal. Frozen greens are also great sauteed with garlic and lemon in olive oil or butter and tossed with pasta or rice, or served with an egg. Other great frozen items are cauliflower, broccoli, carrots, and peas. This pea soup, made with frozen peas, is very spring-y, delicious and so cheap.

The main thing I keep thinking about every time I head to the kitchen to make a meal for my family (it feels like I’m constantly doing this, honestly), is whether I can do a little more with a little less.

I ask myself if there’s a simpler way to make what I want to serve, and I scour the backs of my cupboards and fridge to see if there’s some forgotten item that needs to be used up before I turn to what’s right in front of me. I ask myself what we really need for the meal to be nutritious and for us to all feel satisfied, and more often than not, I find that we don’t really require as much as I might normally put on the table. It’s a lesson I plan to take with me when all of this is over. We’re so accustomed to having access to everything we like all the time, but with a little careful planning, some basic techniques, and creativity, it’s often possible to find all you need within what you already have.

Category:

Share this Recipe: Share on Facebook Tweet This! Pin it on Pinterest

Patrice Rios, on Mar 29, 01:08 PM, wrote:

We love you Gaby. Yours are among my favorite cookbooks. Keep up the good work!

Blood, on Apr 7, 11:59 AM, wrote:

Funny article, very useful now. Thanks
I will use your advice.

jual obat cytotec, on Apr 8, 06:45 AM, wrote:

dishes made from natural ingredients

gospel music, on Apr 9, 07:55 AM, wrote:

I love study. it awesome
nice time out

buy cheap essay, on Apr 13, 05:16 AM, wrote:

Funny article, very useful now. Thanks
I will use your advice.

Does Leptin Resistance formula Really Work Or Scam?, on Apr 15, 03:41 AM, wrote:

Does Leptin Resistance formula Really Work Or Scam?, on Apr 17, 02:44 AM, wrote:

LeptoConnect is a supplement that is mainly concerLeptoConnect is a supplement that is mainly concerned in burning unwanted fats so as to give you faster weight-loss results. The stored fats are its main target and its makers were applauded because of this good objective. The best way to fight weight-gain is to prevent the growth of unwanted substances that contributes great in gaining more pounds.

Packers and Movers Bangalore, on Apr 21, 02:56 AM, wrote:

Professional and excellent Packers and Movers Bangalore Provide secure and good homes Shipping Services company in Bangalore with Affordable Packers and Movers charges Quotation. We Provide home Transport, Office belongings transferring, Local and Domestic Transport Services, Affordable and good Transport Service companies quote Visit Here:- https://professionalmovers.in/packers-and-movers-bangalore

Curt lennix, on Apr 23, 05:54 PM, wrote:

Resurge Supplement Review, on Apr 26, 02:49 PM, wrote:

You have done an amazing job! I think you made some good points in this post. I really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us. Great tips and very easy to understand I think you made some good points in this post.

Dark Web, on Apr 29, 05:22 AM, wrote:

Thanks for this write up. Highly Appreciated

Farha Roofing Denver, on May 5, 04:24 AM, wrote:

Thanks for the information! It’s really interesting! ~ Roofing contractors Denver

Grindr for Computer, on May 9, 02:10 AM, wrote:

I usually buy fresh food and keep them in my freezer.

Lift N Roll Towing, on May 11, 09:27 PM, wrote:

Great article! Thanks for sharing the recipe! ~ Towing Toronto

Sudbury Tile Installation, on May 12, 01:00 AM, wrote:

Great! Thanks for sharing, you give us new recipe to try. ~ Sudbury Tile Installation

St. Catharines Carpet Cleaning, on May 12, 02:16 AM, wrote:

All the food and recipes and great and presentable and of course delicious. For carpet Cleaning we would like to invite you to visit our site at http://www.stcatharinescarpetcleaning.com

Kingston Window Cleaners, on May 12, 03:02 AM, wrote:

Thanks for sharing your ideas! It can also help us and have new learnings here. ~ Kingston Window Cleaners

Shivani Bhandari, on May 22, 06:07 AM, wrote:

Hey admin!! i am very glad to read this article. Thank you so much fro sharing with us.

alannarene, on May 26, 02:45 AM, wrote:

John Barban resurge supplement</a> is the only fat burning supplement that works effectively. It treats the root cause of overweight and obesity. This supplement is a savior for many people who are not able to shed their weight despite starving themselves and doing grueling gym workouts.

Cara Mengatasi Nyeri Otot Akibat Benturan, on May 28, 11:40 PM, wrote:

Nyeri otot yang diakibatkan benturan memang sangat sakit, bahkan dapat menyebabkan pembengkakan, serta mengganggu aktivitas sehari-hari. Untuk itu, disini saya mempunyai sebuah Cara Mengatasi Nyeri Otot Akibat Benturan yang dijamin sembuh dengan cepat, tanpa perlu khawatir akan adanya efek samping.

Khasiat Ricalinu Untuk Nyeri Otot Kaki