- Prep Time 10 minutes
- Estimated Cost $7.75
- 3 Comments
Avocados are packed with healthy fats and antioxidants. Their rich, luscious texture and creamy mouth feel help to satisfy you and keep you feeling fuller longer (so you are better able to resist that cronut craving after lunch), and they go with just about everything. Still, it's somehow not really socially acceptable to eat a whole bowlful of guacamole. Not acceptable, that is, until now. Because I found loophole.
If you coarsely chop your avocado and gently toss it with tomatoes, onions, jalapeño, cilantro, lime juice and olive oil, then what you've made is a salad, not guacamole. Except, it's a salad that tastes just like guacamole. And it's totally acceptable to eat a whole bowl of it. Like I said, it's a salad.
How can I turn down tomatoes when they look at me like this? Don't refrigerate them! It ruins their flavor.
This salad is a wonderful barbecue side dish or a base for grilled chicken, shrimp or steak. Sometimes I even gild the lily and top it with Greek yogurt.
Completely unnecessary, but so, so delicious. The salad is also great spooned into in a corn tortilla with scrambled eggs (for a quick breakfast taco), served in place of guacamole and/or salsa with enchiladas, burritos and tacos, or just with tortilla chips.
Make it soon, while summer tomatoes are still available.
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, destemmed and halved $3.50
- 1 avocado, peeled, seeded and diced $1.50
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion (about 1/8 onion) $1 for a whole onion
- 1 small (or 1/2 large) clove garlic, minced Pantry
- 1/2 jalapeño, sliced paper-thin (if you're sensitive to spice, substitute finely chopped green pepper) $0.25 for a whole jalapeño
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped $1 for a bunch
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- juice of 1 lime $0.50 for a lime
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- dollop of Greek yogurt Optional
Recipe Serves 2
- In a serving bowl, combine the tomatoes, aocado red onion, jalapeño (or green pepper) and cilantro.
- Drizzle with olive oil and lime juice and toss well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste (a generous pinch each should do it).
- Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt, if desired.
- Serve immediately.