Grilled Teriyaki Chicken Over Cold Sesame-Herb Udon Noodles
- Prep Time 0:30
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $14.50
- 3 Comments
Full disclosure: I think pasta salad is kind of tacky. Cold macaroni smothered with mayonnaise? I just can’t do it.
This cold noodle dish, however—this I can get behind. The light, vibrant pesto-like herb mixture clings to the chewy udon (Japanese wheat noodles) and complements the perfectly grilled, slightly sweet chicken breasts brilliantly. Serve this at your next barbeque.
- 2 tbsp plus 1 tsp brown sugar Pantry
- juice of 1 lime, divided $0.50
- 1/4 cup soy sauce Pantry
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar $2 for 10 oz.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts $5
- 14 oz. fresh or frozen (not dried) udon noodles $1
- 1 small bunch cilantro leaves $1
- 1 small bunch flat-leaf parsley leaves $1
- 2 tsp vegetable or olive oil Pantry
- 1 clove garlic Pantry
- 1/4 red onion, peeled and cut into chunks $0.50
- 1 small piece of ginger, peeled, cut into chunks $0.50
- pinch salt Pantry
- 1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds $2 for 8.5 oz.
- 1 scallion, sliced $1 for a bunch
Recipe Serves 2
- Whisk together 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1/2 lime juice, soy sauce and rice vinegar. Pour into a plastic zip-lock bag, add chicken and seal. Squish chicken around to ensure marinade is distributed. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- While chicken marinates, cook noodles in lightly-boiling salted water for 1-2 minutes (or until noodles separate). Rinse in cold water until noodles are cool. Drain and transfer to a bowl.
- Place cilantro, parsley, oil, garlic, onion, ginger, remaining lime juice and remaining brown sugar in a food processor. Pulse until smooth. Toss with noodles and set aside.
- Heat a grill or grill pan over high heat. If using a grill pan, lightly brush with oil. Grill the chicken breasts for 4-5 minutes on each side, or until cooked all the way through. Remove from heat.
- Just before serving, toss the noodles with the sesame seeds. Divide noodles between two plates and top each pile with a chicken breast. Garnish with scallions.