Ginger-Molasses Bread Pudding with Blueberries
- Prep Time 0:10
- Cook Time 0:22
- Estimated Cost $13.50
- 25 Comments
True confession: last Friday I bought a fresh whole-wheat baguette to have with dinner. True confession: today I remembered that half of it remained, still in its brown paper bag. Unsurprisingly, it was rock-hard. Rather than throw it away, I did what any true BrokeAss would do: I made bread pudding. Waste not, want not.
- 1/2 baguette (ideally stale), cut into cubes $2
- 1 1/2 cups milk $1.50 for 1 pint
- 2 eggs $1.50 for 6
- 1 small piece ginger, peeled and minced $1
- 1/3 cup sugar Pantry
- 1/8 cup blackstrap molasses $3 for 10 oz.
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries $2
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, plus more to grease the pan. $1 for a stick
- powdered sugar for garnish $1.50
Recipe Serves 6
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease an 8" pie plate with butter.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, and molasses. Gently stir in sugar and ginger until well-incorporated. Add bread and allow to soak for 5-10 minutes, until most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Use a spatula to scrape the bread mixture into the greased pie plate. Sprinkle with the blueberries and dot with butter. Bake for 20-22 minutes or until crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Allow to cool for 5-10 minutes before dusting with powdered sugar and serving.