Cold Soba Noodle-Vegetable Salad with Tempeh
- Prep Time 0:30
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $10.50
- 3 Comments
This light and crunchy salad stars soba noodles, made of buckwheat flour, with an earthy taste and silky texture and tempeh, a protein product made of fermented soy beans. The tempeh can be bitter if under-cooked, so be sure to leave it in the pan long enough to develop a golden-brown crust.
The juicy vegetables are naturally moist enough that this salad’s dressing needs no oil. Feel free to add toasted sesame seeds, almonds or peanuts.
- 8 oz. dried soba noodles $1.50
- 1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil Pantry
- 8 oz. tempeh, cut into 1/2"-thick slices $3
- salt to taste Pantry
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, sliced $0.50
- 2 carrots, shredded $0.50
- 1/2 head red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced $0.50
- 4 scallions, sliced $1 for a bunch
- 1 tomato, cored and sliced into thin wedges $0.50
- 4 tbsp Asian sweet chili sauce $2 for 10 oz.
- 2 tbsp soy sauce Pantry
- 1 handful cilantro leaves, chopped $1 for a bunch
Recipe Serves 4-6
- Cook soba noodles according to directions on package. Rinse under cool water until noodles are no longer warm. Drain and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook tempeh slices for 3-4 minutes on each side, or until a nice brown crust develops. Remove from heat and sprinkle lightly with salt.
- Whisk together Asian chili sauce and soy sauce.
- Add Romaine, carrots, cabbage, scallions and tomato to serving bowl. Toss well with chili-soy sauce mixture.
- Top salad with cooked tempeh and chopped cilantro.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Leave a Comment
What They're Saying
Furnace Cleaning, on Jan 4, 12:07 PM, wrote:
Continue your great work! Keep on sharing great ideas and information!
baccaratcommunity, on Oct 4, 09:02 PM, wrote:
Of course, your article is good enough, but I thought it would be much better to see professional photos and videos together. There are articles and photos on these topics on my homepage, so please visit and share your opinions.
Avellaneda Escorts, on Feb 17, 02:06 AM, wrote:
¡Avanza! ¡Comparta grandes ideas e información!