Cheesy Pepper Biscuits
- Prep Time 0:10
- Cook Time 0:16
- 0 Comments
Henry, my favorite 9-year-old and I had a dinner date tonight. We made these biscuits to eat with our chicken soup dinner. He would like you to know that the cheese was his idea and also that, if you wanted to, you could add cut-up green onions to these (Henry loves green onions).
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting and rolling Pantry
- 4 tsp baking powder Pantry
- 3/4 tsp salt, plus more for sprinkling Pantry
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly-ground black pepper Pantry
- 4 tbsp very cold butter, cut into cubes $1 for a stick
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus a few extra pinches for sprinkling 3.50 for 12 oz.
- 1 cup buttermilk $2 for a quart
Total Cost of Ingredients $6.50
Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly flour a baking sheet and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper.
Use your hands to rub the butter into the flour, until the mixture resembles small peas. Stir in the cheese.
Form a little well in the center of the mixture and pour in the buttermilk. Stir together to form a very sticky dough.
Lightly flour a flat, clean surface and knead the dough about 5 times, just until it holds together. Press it until it is about 1 1/2” thick. Use a biscuit cutter, wine glass or drinking glass to cut 3” circles out of the dough, reworking the scraps until all the dough has been cut.
Arrange the biscuits on the floured baking sheet so they touch one another lightly. Top each with a sprinkle of salt and a pinch of cheese.
Bake for 13-16 minutes, until puffy and golden-brown.
Makes about 12 biscuits.