BrokeAss Breakfast: Huevos Rancheros with Tomatillo-Habanero Sauce
- Prep Time 0:20
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $9.50
- 0 Comments
This BrokeAss Breakfast is actually one of my favorite things to have for dinner. Full of protein and good carbs, bursting with fresh, spicy flavor and balanced with just the right bit of tanginess from the yogurt or sour cream (I prefer yogurt), this quick treat makes use of one of my favorite Mexican fruits, the tomatillo. If you’re feeling indulgent, top with sliced avocado.
- 1 tomatillo, husks removed $0.50
- 1 small bunch cilantro, including stems $1
- 1 clove garlic Pantry
- 1/2 habanero pepper, seeds removed (use less if you're sensitive to spice) $0.50
- Juice of 1 lemon $0.50
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 1/4 cup greek yogurt or sour cream $1
- 4 corn tortillas $1.50
- 1 tsp vegetable oil Pantry
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained $1
- 4 eggs $1.50 for 6
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese $2
Recipe Serves 2
- Cut the tomatillo into quarters. Place in a small pot and cover with water. Boil for 10 minutes or until slightly soft. In a food processor or blender combine tomatillo, cilantro, habanero, garlic, lemon juice, yogurt/sour cream and salt and pepper to taste. The resulting sauce should be creamy and light green. Set aside.
- Cook the beans in a small pot with a little water over medium heat, just to warm them up.
- Heat the tortillas in a dry frying pan over high heat. Place 2 on each plate.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the eggs to your desired doneness. Top with the shredded cheese.
- To assemble the huevos rancheros, spoon a little sauce onto each tortilla. Top with an even distribution of the black beans, an egg and a little extra sauce. Serve hot with hot sauce on the side.