- Prep Time 0:20
- Estimated Cost $15.50
- 3 Comments
If I have one decidedly non-BrokeAss food habit, it’s sushi. No doubt about it, fish that is good enough to be served raw will cost you, which is why I was so stoked to find sashimi-grade yellow fin tuna on sale at Safeway, of all places. I added an avocado, some carrots, nori, sesame seeds and rice to my shopping basket and an hour later I had a yummy sushi dinner for two and plenty of money left over for Sapporo.
Note: if you have a sushi-rolling mat, great, but it’s not necessary.
- 1/2 lb. sashimi grade yellow fin tuna $5
- 6 sheets nori $2.50 for 12
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced $1.50
- 2 carrots, shredded $1
- 1 cup sushi rice, cooked according to package directions and cooled to room temperature $2.50 for 24 oz.
- 1 tbsp. rice vinegar $1.50 for 10 oz.
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds $1.50 for 1 oz.
- Drizzle the rice vinegar over the rice. Set aside.
- On a clean surface, slice the tuna into strips about the length and width of your finger (gross, I know). Set aside.
- Place a sheet of nori, shiny-side-down on a clean cutting board or sushi mat. Wet your hands completely and scoop up a handful of rice. Press an even layer of rice from the bottom of the nori, up about 3/4 of the way.
- Arrange 1 or 2 pieces of tuna tuna, avocado and some carrot in an even line at the bottom of the nori sheet, on top of the rice layer. Roll the nori tightly, encasing the tuna, avocado and carrot. Use a little water to seal the end if necessary. If you have a sushi mat, you can use it to roll the sushi at this point. Repeat with remaining nori, rice, tuna, avocado and carrot.
- Slice the sushi into 1" or 1 1/2 " pieces. Sprinkle lightly with sesame seeds.
- Serve garnished with your favorite sushi accompaniments. I prefer lemon, soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.
Makes about 30 pieces of sushi.
Leave a Comment
What They're Saying
slot deposit pulsa, on Aug 6, 09:14 PM, wrote:
maki? like sushi
Nodepositz, on Nov 16, 03:57 AM, wrote:
You can search for a suitable hobby for a long time, but I recommend that you pay attention to because there is a very cool online casino site that is definitely worth your attention waiting for you there.
Lucas Roy, on Jan 23, 02:11 PM, wrote:
This recipe is really impressive in its simplicity and flavor. It is suitable for serving at a variety of temperatures and generally fits into any diet. What do you do in between cooking this or any other dish? I have a helpful suggestion for you. Have fun playing in one of the world’s best gambling establishments with high limit slots online https://casinologin.mobi/ca/high-limit-slots/ because over a hundred games to choose from – including traditional slots and modern variations – every gambler is sure to find something that will satisfy his desire for entertainment. Take your gambling experience to the next level and visit this incredible institution today.