Sweet Potato Frittata with Caramelized Onions and Cheddar
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:30
- Estimated Cost $8.50
- 12 Comments
Easy to assemble and perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner—or even tucked into a sandwich.
- extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- 1 medium onion, sliced $0.50
- 1 medium garnet yam, cut into 1/4" thick slices (leave the skin on) $0.50
- 2 green onions, chopped $1 for a bunch
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten $1.50
- 1/4 cup half-and-half or whole milk $1.50 for a pint
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper Pantry
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese $3.50 for 8 oz.
Recipe Serves 4-6
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil an 8" pie pan and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil into a a medium frying pan over medium heat and add the onion. Cook, allowing to caramelize, for 7-8 minutes.
- Layer the sliced sweet potato in the oiled pie pan. Spread the caramelized onions in an even layer over the sweet potatoes, then sprinkle with the chopped green onions.
- Whisk the salt and pepper into the half-and-half or milk and eggs, then pour over the sweet potatoes, onions and green onions. Give the pie pan a gentle shake to distribute everything.
- Top with the cheddar cheese and bake for about 30 minutes, until the eggs are completely set and the top is browned and bubbly.
- Let cool slightly (or all the way to room temperature), then cut into wedges and serve.
Leave a Comment
What They're Saying
CassElyse, on Mar 20, 03:48 PM, wrote:
I was wondering if I whisk the eggs into the milk and then just pour over everything?
Emily, on Mar 21, 05:44 AM, wrote:
I cannot wait to try this! Thanks, Gabs!
Sarah @ Homestyle Cooking Around The World, on Mar 22, 10:06 AM, wrote:
This is very yummy and interesting- would not have thought to combine these flavors but will be trying this soon!
Ravyn, on Mar 25, 10:08 PM, wrote:
Can you tell me how many servings this makes? Thanks! :D
junny, on Mar 26, 06:50 AM, wrote:
Realy wonderful snack, easy to assemble and perfect to enjoy!
Jess, on Mar 26, 01:01 PM, wrote:
I made this yesterday morning for breakfast. It was delicious!!
Emma, on Mar 28, 01:41 PM, wrote:
I was a little skeptical of this one, since the sweet potatoes were not cooked first. I sliced them very thin with my mandoline, and ended up baking it for 5 extra minutes (as the center was not brown at 30 minutes). I tested the sweet potatoes right after taking it out of the oven, and they seemed a little too firm, but after cooling for a bit they were fine. Two grown-ups and two kids (including a vegetable-avoider) all enjoyed and asked for seconds. Will definitely make again!
Cora, on May 3, 08:44 AM, wrote:
Made your spicy chicken dish published in our local newspaper the Press Democrat on Wednesday and it was the Bomb, everyone loved it except next time will add more chili sauce but Delish!!
Carolyn, on May 20, 09:18 PM, wrote:
Good evening….I really enjoyed this recipe…made slight change based on what I had on hand…..used lowfat milk and parmesan cheese. I will make this again just as I made it. Thank you!
plasterers bristol, on Jul 22, 08:41 AM, wrote:
This sounds lovely. Going to give this a go. thanks for sharing this recipe.
Moron Escorts, on Dec 5, 03:57 AM, wrote:
Esto podría ser muy delicioso e interesante; ahora podría no tener la idea de mezclar esos sabores, ¡pero podría intentarlo pronto!
casinosites, on Jan 17, 07:35 PM, wrote:
Why couldn’t I have the same or similar opinions as you? T^T I hope you also visit my blog and give us a good opinion. casinositess ..