- Prep Time 0:10
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $11.00
- 8 Comments
OK, I realize this is barely a recipe. It’s really just a bunch of stuff thrown into a tortilla and pan-fried, but honestly, it’s so yummy and easy and even moderately healthy, that I just had to share it with you. These make for a perfect snack, lunch or even a quick supper alongside a bowl of (soup).
Note: if you have some cooked, smashed squash lying around, use that, but honestly, canned, unsweetened pumpkin is just perfect and super-easy.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided Pantry
- 1/2 red onion, sliced thinly $0.50
- 4 whole wheat burrito-size tortillas $2.50 for 12
- 1/2 cup peeled, cooked, smashed squash (Pumpkin, Butternut, Winter squash, etc) $1.50
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar, mozzarella or jack cheese $3.50 for 8 oz.
- 1 cup fresh spinach $0.50
- few dashes nutmeg $1.50 for 1 oz.
Recipe Serves 2
- Heat olive oil in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add onions and cook for 3-5 minutes, until very fragrant and lightly browned. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Lay a tortilla on a clean, dry surface and spread with half of the smashed squash. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and top with half of the cheese, half of the spinach and half of the onions. Top with a dash of nutmeg and a second tortilla. Press gently to adhere. Repeat with the remaining quesadilla ingredients so you have 2 assembled quesadillas.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in the pan you used to cook the onions. Cook the quesadillas, one at a time over medium heat, for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until tortillas are brown and crispy and the cheese has melted.
- Cut into wedges and serve immediately.
Leave a Comment
What They're Saying
Mat, on Nov 2, 01:49 PM, wrote:
I read that quickly as “Sasquatch Quesadillas”. I think you should change the name.
Kristina @ spabettie, on Nov 2, 02:40 PM, wrote:
delicious AND beautiful !!
Lacey Outten, on Nov 7, 09:44 AM, wrote:
I LOVE this idea!! Cant wait to try it out this week!
Kristi Rimkus, on Nov 9, 07:26 PM, wrote:
Great combination of ingredients that makes for a tasty and unique quesadilla!
Solar Edmonton, on Feb 18, 04:41 AM, wrote:
Continue your great work! Very helpful these days.
In home nurse Mooresville, on Apr 19, 02:33 PM, wrote:
Thank you for your good work! Keep on inspiring us and we enjoy reading your posts.
https://garagedoorrepairsedmonton.com/, on May 3, 02:38 PM, wrote:
Please continue to inspire your readers. Good work!
slotsite, on Aug 28, 08:39 PM, wrote:
I’ve been troubled for several days with this topic. slotsite But by chance looking at your post solved my problem! I will leave my blog, so when would you like to visit it?