Spicy Mee Goreng
- Prep Time 0:25
- Cook Time 0:10
- Estimated Cost $9.75
- 30 Comments
This quick Malaysian street noodle dish is just the thing when you have to feed a hungry group on a serious budget. Fresh Chinese wheat noodles can be found in 1-lb bags at most Asian grocery stores (attention San Franciscans, I buy mine here) and are amazingly versatile.
I took some liberties with the sauce here—most Mee Goreng dishes contain ketchup but I just can’t seem to get behind that. If you can’t find lemongrass, try adding the zest of a lemon or lime.
Also, feel free to add shrimp, tofu, chicken, beef—whatever. The dish doesn’t need it but it will gladly accommodate it!
- 1 lb fresh Chinese wheat noodles $1.50
- 2 tbsp vegetable or canola oil Pantry
- 1 small piece ginger, minced (about 2 tsp)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Pantry
- 1 stalk lemongrass (dry tops removed), sliced thinly $1 for a bunch
- 1/2 red onion, diced finely $0.50
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce $2 for 8 oz.
- 2 tbsp brown sugar Pantry
- 2 tsp Asian chili sauce plus more for garnish $2 for 12 oz.
- 2 carrots, sliced thinly or shredded $0.50
- 1 small bunch cilantro leaves, chopped $1
- 1 small bunch mint leaves, chopped $1
- 1 green jalapeño, sliced into rings $0.25
Recipe Serves 4-6
- Cook noodles in boiling salted water for 6-7 minutes or until they begin to float. Drain and rinse. Set aside.
- While noodles cook, heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Add ginger, garlic, lemongrass and onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until onions are very fragrant but before they begin to brown.
- Add hoisin sauce, brown sugar and Asian chili sauce. Stir well.
- Increase heat to high and add cooked noodles. Toss in sauce to coat, using tongs. Allow noodles to cook, stirring noodles very little to allow them to develop light charring in spots. Turn noodles using tongs at least once to encourage browning throughout.
- Once noodles in sauce have finished cooking, toss in carrots, cilantro, mint and jalapeño.
- Serve immediately, garnished with more chili sauce if desired.