Shallot-Leek Potato Gratins
- Prep Time 0:25
- Cook Time 0:40
- 9 Comments
The first thing I read this morning was this New York Times dining article about mouthwatering potato gratin with leeks. I knew immediately that I needed to do a version of it. I added shallots, replaced the pricey Gruyere called for with easier-to-find, less-expensive white cheddar and dialed back the herb additions to better showcase the sweetness of the leeks and shallots.
I ate it for lunch with a bit of seared spinach on the side, but will definitely make it again soon and serve alongside roast chicken or grilled steak.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, plus more for greasing ramekins or pan $1 for a stick
- 1 leek, trimmed, halved lengthwise and chopped $0.50
- 1 large or 2 medium shallots, chopped $0.50
- 1 cup heavy cream $1.50 for a pint
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg $1.50 for 1 oz.
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese $3.50 for 8 oz.
- 2 lbs Russet potatoes, scrubbed and sliced paper-thin (use a mandolin or the thin, flat edge of a grater) $2
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper Pantry
Total Cost of Ingredients $10.50
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter 4 ramekins or 1 8“x8” baking dish.
Melt the 2 tbsp butter in a medium frying pan over medium heat. Add the leeks and shallots and cook 7-8 minutes, or until softened and very fragrant.
Pour cream over the leeks and shallots. Sprinkle in nutmeg and stir well. Cook for 5 minutes, scraping the bottom of the pan and stirring as it cooks, then remove from heat.
Toss the sliced potatoes with the salt and pepper and arrange half of them on the bottom of each ramekin (or on the bottom of the baking dish, if using). Pour about 1/8 cup of the leek-shallot-cream mixture over the potatoes in each ramekin (or 1/2 cup in the baking pan). Divide 1/2 of the cheese evenly between the ramekins (or sprinkle over the potatoes in the baking dish). Repeat layering once more, finishing with the cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden-brown and bubbly. Serve hot.
Makes 4 individual gratins or 1 large gratin (serving 4-6).