Seared Ahi over Ginger-Carrot Smash
- Prep Time 0:10
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $11.00
- 5 Comments
This dish pairs the sexy sophistication of sushi with the comfort of a cooked, smashed root vegetable. Think of it as the culinary equivalent of a candlelit dinner in your pajamas.
This dish calls for freshly cracked pepper—don’t use the pre-ground stuff that comes in a shaker. If you don’t have a real pepper grinder, scoot over to Trader Joe’s and pick up one of theirs for around $2.
- 2 4-oz. Ahi tuna steaks or 1 8-oz Ahi tuna steak $8
- 4 large carrots, peeled and chopped into 1" coins $1
- 1 small piece ginger, peeled and chopped $1
- 1 tbsp brown sugar Pantry
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped Pantry
- 2 scallions, sliced $1
- freshly cracked pepper Pantry
- salt to taste Pantry
- 2 tsp vegetable oil Pantry
Recipe Serves 2
- Bring the carrots and 2 cups water to a rapid boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered for 10 minutes or until carrots are very soft. Add the garlic and ginger to the pot and cook, uncovered for an additional 5 minutes. Drain and return to the pot. Add the brown sugar and salt to taste and mash with the back of a fork or a potato masher until mostly smooth. Set aside.
- To prepare the Ahi steaks, Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet (cast iron if you have it) over high heat. Season the steaks on both sides with salt and cover completely with freshly cracked pepper. Using tongs, set the steaks in the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, depending on how rare you want them to be. Once cooked, remove from the pan and slice the steaks on the bias.
- To serve, divide the carrot smash onto 2 plates. Arrange the sliced tuna steaks atop the carrot smash and garnish with scallions.
Leave a Comment
What They're Saying
Liam Weston, on Mar 21, 01:44 AM, wrote:
I am very glad to read this info. xoami
Jessica William, on Apr 6, 12:58 AM, wrote:
By following these instructions, I made this recipe in my kitchen but it was not good like it is being exhibited in this picture. To be honest I played online casinos with 20 minimum deposit and it was amazing. Perhaps there is something that is missing in your formula or I have not understood it right.
Slot deposit pulsa, on Jul 4, 04:01 AM, wrote:
Nice and yummy
best-cheap-gaming-headsets, on Dec 5, 09:22 AM, wrote:
A fascinating discussion is definitely worth comment. I do believe that you ought to publish more on this subject matter, it may not be a taboo subject but usually people do not talk about such issues. To the next! All the best!!
baccaratsite, on Oct 21, 07:54 PM, wrote:
Looking at this article, I miss the time when I didn’t wear a mask. baccaratsite Hopefully this corona will end soon. My blog is a blog that mainly posts pictures of daily life before Corona and landscapes at that time. If you want to remember that time again, please visit us.