Root Vegetable Latkes
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Cook Time 20 minutes
- Estimated Cost $8
- 26 Comments
When I think about the exterior caramelization that happens when a shredded sweet potato hits hot oil, there's just nothing else for me.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: I prefer sweet potatoes.
I know, I know. As an American Jew (two groups known for their deep love of the white potato), it's practically blasphemous for me to shun the humble Russet. And yeah, I can see its place in a recipe now and then: The toothsome steak fry. The knish. The pierogi--potatoes do makes sense there. But still, given the choice, I go for the yams.
It seems like the latke should be the kind of potato exception that a non-potato-lover like myself should make. But when I think about the exterior caramelization that happens when a shredded sweet potato hits hot oil, there's just nothing else for me.
Here, I've taken things over the top by adding more sweet root vegetables: carrots (I used rainbow carrots, but any kind will work), and beets, which add a pop of bright purple color, as well as earthy sweetness. I've kept the seasoning simple--just thinly sliced scallions, salt, and pepper, but these would welcome a bit of grated ginger, fresh turmeric, and/or minced garlic, too. Feel free to get creative.
But whatever you do, be sure to eat these hot, right out of the pan (or oven, where you'll warm them), with plenty of sour cream and/or applesauce. Tonight, I'll be serving these alongside mouthwateringly tender brisket and some roasted broccolini. But between you, me, and the applesauce, these latkes will be the star of the show.
I mean, just look at that. How could they not be?
- 2 pounds (orange-fleshed) sweet potatoes, scrubbed and grated (no need to peel) $2.50
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and grated $1
- 4 small beets, cooked, peeled, and grated (Trader Joes' Steamed and Peeled Baby Beets are a great shortcut here) $2
- 3 scallions (white and green parts), trimmed and sliced thinly $1 for a bunch
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and freshly cracked black pepper Pantry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten $1.50 for 6
- 1/3 cup flour Pantry
- oil, for frying (I like the flavor of a half-and-half blend of olive oil and cocont oil, but vegetable, canola, or grapeseed oils all work well) Pantry
Recipe Serves 6-8
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sweet potato, carrots, beets, scallions, salt, pepper, egg, and flour. Stir well, using a spoon or your hands, until well-combined.
- Pour the oil into one or two large frying pans until it comes up about 1/2 inch in the pan.
- Heat the oil over medium-high heat, until it sizzles when a piece of grated sweet potato is added.
- Wet your hands under running water, and form a latke into 2-1/2-inch rounds that are about 1/2 inch thick. (though you should feel free to make them larger or smaller as desired).
- Add the latke immediately to the hot pan and continue forming latkes and adding them to the pan, until the pan is full, with plenty of space between each latke. (To give you an idea of what this looks like, I cook 4-5 small latkes at a time in my 12-inch frying pan.)
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, watching carefully to avoid burning.
- Flip the latkes in the order you added them to the pan so they brown evenly, then cook for another minute or two, until the latkes are crispy on the outside.
- As the latkes finish, transfer them to a baking sheet (make sure to leave space between them), and keep warm in the oven.
- Serve the latkes hot, with sour cream, creme fraiche, or Greek yogurt, and applesauce (my favorite is this one, which features cardamom).
Leave a Comment
What They're Saying
Findia Group, on Dec 22, 02:19 AM, wrote:
Thanks for sharing!
Desire Leather The Winter Soldier Coat, on Aug 11, 01:05 AM, wrote:
As a Newbie, I am permanently exploring online for articles that can be of assistance to me. Thank you
Newamericanjackets , on Dec 15, 02:12 AM, wrote:
I just learned many things about this topic and improved the sense of the readings! thanks for sharing great work.
best place to learn kitesurfing in the caribbean, on Feb 27, 11:54 AM, wrote:
I have read your article; it is very informative and helpful for me. I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it
Moon Sign Calculator, on Apr 12, 11:26 PM, wrote:
Nice work. I Liked the post. Please keep this testy work up.
office.com/setup, on Jul 22, 04:06 AM, wrote:
Office com setup – Get started with Microsoft Office by downloading and installing. You need the dedicated 25-digits product key for activation. Get the Office setup from www office com setup. Office com/setup – To Install Office Setup Enter Office Setup Product Key and activate, setup office product.
Leroy steckler, on Oct 11, 12:10 AM, wrote:
HAVE YOU LOST YOUR HARD EARNED FUNDS TO THE WRONG HANDS?
MEET THE PROFESSIONAL HACKERS FOR HIRE TODAY.
Hiring a professional hacker has been one of the world’s most technical valued navigating information. email@example.com
•Recovery Of Lost Funds,
•Mobile Phone Hack.(Catching A Cheating Spouse).
•Credit Score Upgrade,
•Uber free Payment. High prolific information and Priviledges comes rare as it has been understood that what people do not see, they will never know. One of the affirmative ability to convey a profitable information Systematically is the majoy factor to success Welcome to The GlobalKOS hacking agency where every request on hacking related issues are fixed within a short period of time. For more infomation and profound Hacking services,
카지노사이트, on Nov 27, 08:12 AM, wrote:
I was extremely pleased to discover this site. I wanted to thank you for your time due to this fantastic read!! <a href=“https://www.oncasinosite.info” target=”_blank” title=“카지노사이트”>카지노사이트</a>
Karimun Jawa, on Mar 9, 01:55 AM, wrote:
Jack Torrance Jacket, on Jun 14, 04:13 AM, wrote:
I found your this post while searching for some related information on blog search.
casinosite, on Dec 5, 06:40 PM, wrote:
I’ve been looking for photos and articles on this topic over the past few days due to a school assignment, <casinosite and I’m really happy to find a post with the material I was looking for! I bookmark and will come often! Thanks :D
baseball betting ID provider in India, on Jan 6, 10:27 PM, wrote:
Get baseball betting ID provider in India and make money online…
CreativetStyle, on Jan 8, 08:15 AM, wrote:
CreativeTDesign is an online store that deals with providing the famous costumes of various Hollywood celebrities. Also, we have a diverse range of outfits from main events and parties based in the USA. We present diverse designs of t-shirts, sweatshirts, and jackets available in both printed and plain designs. We cover a wide variety of color options for presenting our attractive designs and love for everyone.
baseball betting ID provider, on Jan 22, 09:39 PM, wrote:
Get baseball betting ID provider and make money online …
ONLINE BASKETBALL BETTING ID, on Jan 22, 10:07 PM, wrote:
get ONLINE BASKETBALL BETTING ID and make money online…
betting id provider, on Jan 23, 02:47 AM, wrote:
Get betting id provider and make money online
best online betting id, on Jan 23, 03:19 AM, wrote:
get best online betting id and make money online…
James Gary, on Jan 27, 07:12 AM, wrote:
I’ve been playing the lottery since I was 21, the highest amount I’ve ever won is $500 and I decided to get help online on how to win the lottery massively. I met Dr Donald who gives out numbers to win the lottery with his spells. I communicated with him and he told me what I needed to know about how the spell will be done for me and I accepted. After 96 hours, he gave me the numbers and instructed me on how to play the lottery. I was shocked when I was notified that I had won $1,000,000 in the lottery and I couldn’t believe my eyes thinking I was dreaming but it was all real and happening. Getting rich is never by luck, it’s something we all have to work for, people have been playing the lottery for years and have never won. If you want to win big, I recommend you to Dr Donald, contact him via his details below:
baseball ID providers, on Jan 29, 08:50 PM, wrote:
Get baseball ID providers in 2min. and make money online
best betting id provider, on Jan 30, 12:09 AM, wrote:
Get best betting id provider in 2min. & make money online
baseball betting ID provider, on Feb 6, 09:24 PM, wrote:
Get baseball betting ID provider and make money online___
Get baseball betting ID provider and make money online., on Feb 12, 11:04 PM, wrote:
Get baseball betting ID provider and make money online.
betting id provider, on Feb 13, 03:32 AM, wrote:
Get betting id provider and make money online .
nogoommethalya, on Feb 20, 05:38 AM, wrote:
إجراءات تنظيف مكيف الهواء الوحدة الداخلية
أولاً ، تأكد دائمًا من فصل الطاقة تمامًا
ثم قم بإزالة الجزء الأمامي من مكيف الهواء برفق لتجنب إتلاف الحاجز الداخلي
ثالثًا ، قم بتنظيف الزعانف الموجودة أسفل الغطاء الخارجي لمكيف الهواء
رابعًا ، قم بإزالة فلتر شفط الهواء واغسله برفق وبشكل كامل بالماء والصابون ، هذا الفلتر جزء مهم من عملية التنظيف ، لذا نظفه جيدًا للتأكد من أن مكيف الهواء يعمل بكفاءة ، اتركه يجف جيدًا قبل إعادته مرة أخرى في مكيف الهواء
خامساً: افحص الخرطوم الذي يخرج بالمال ، ونظفه جيداً ، وأزل كل ما يمنع خروج الماء.
شركة تنظيف مكيفات بالدمام
web application development, on Mar 1, 01:58 AM, wrote:
web application development
multi recharge software in sikar, on Mar 9, 02:36 AM, wrote:
multi recharge software in sikar…