Lemon-Basil Ricotta Crostini over Mixed Greens with Roasted Red Peppers
- Prep Time 0:25
- Cook Time 0:10
- Estimated Cost $10.00
- 28 Comments
This easy starter salad is a sophisticated yet incredibly simple way to begin a dinner. Creamy ricotta and refreshing basil and lemon cleanse the palate and prepare diners for the next course.
- 6 cups mixed greens $4
- 1 small baguette, sliced into 1/4"-thick slices $1.50
- 1 10-oz. jar roasted red peppers, drained and sliced into thin strips $1.50
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese $3 for 10 oz.
- 1 small bunch basil, finely chopped $1
- zest and juice of 1/2 lemon $0.50
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- olive oil Pantry
- balsamic vinegar Pantry
Recipe Serves 4-6
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Drizzle about 2 tbsp olive oil over bread slices, making sure to coat both sides. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake 8-10 minutes on each side, or until light brown and crisp.
- While baguette slices toast, combine ricotta, basil, lemon juice and zest and salt and pepper to taste until well-incorporated. Set aside.
- Toss greens with 2 tbsp each of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- To serve, heap a small pile of dressed greens on a salad plate. Smear about 1 tbsp of ricotta mixture on 2-3 baguette slices and top each slice with 1 or 2 pieces of red pepper and a grind of pepper. Top greens with crostini and serve.