Insanely Easy Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Bites
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:25
- Estimated Cost $12
- 2 Comments
I’m normally somewhat hesitant to use canned fruits or vegetables, but I make one exception: Muir Glen Fire Roasted Tomatoes. They are organic, readily available, not too expensive and absolutely delicious. The fire-roasting technique used on them imparts a sweet-yet-earthy flavor that gives serious depth to dishes with practically zero effort on the chef’s part. This soup is so freaking easy and quick to throw together, giving you extra time to make equally-simple-yet-glorious grilled cheese bites.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped Pantry
- 1 medium onion, chopped $0.50
- 2 14.5-oz. cans chopped tomatoes, ideally fire-roasted $4.50
- 1/4 cup half-and-half Pantry
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 4 slices sandwich bread $2.50 for a loaf
- 2 slices cheese of your choice (I like pepper jack) $3.50 for 8 oz.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter (at room temperature) $1 for a stick
Recipe Serves 4
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 4-5 minutes, or until onions are translucent and very fragrant.
- Add tomatoes and cook, covered for 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- While soup cooks, assemble the grilled cheese by sandwiching each slice of cheese between two pieces of bread.
- Spread the outsides of the sandwiches with the butter.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat and grill the sandwiches until the cheese melts and the bread is golden-brown.
- Turn heat off and leave sandwiches in the warm pan until ready to serve.
- Puree the soup using a blender, food processor or immersion blender.
- Return to pot, stir in the half-and half and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Cut the grilled cheeses into 1" squares, ladle the hot soup into bowls and serve.
Leave a Comment
What They're Saying
The Souper, on May 14, 07:34 AM, wrote:
With a passion for soups and comfort foods, this recipe caught my eye.
Enjoying your blog very much.
baccarat online, on Mar 9, 06:52 PM, wrote:
I came to this site with the introduction of a friend around me and I was very impressed when I found your writing. I’ll scome back often after bookmarking! baccarat online