Gingered Tuna Salad with Avocado and Sriracha
- Prep Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $7.75
- 7 Comments
Everyone talks about gaining weight during the holiday season, but I have a hard time believing that a little over-indulgence on Thanksgiving, the winter holidays and New Years results in a national average of 7-10 pounds of extra weight. Rather, I think the issue is that people start indulging on Thanksgiving and then don’t stop until January 2nd. And yeah, a full month of eating like crap will pack on the pounds.
So this year, I say let’s try to get a jump-start on our New Years resolutions and eat as healthfully as possible for the month of December (save for a buttery Christmas goose here and some golden latkes there). This tuna salad is full of healthy fats, devoid of empty carbs and chock-full of flavor. I ate it in endive cups, but you could also wrap it in a whole grain tortilla, mound it over greens or just eat it straight out of the bowl.
- 1 5-oz can tuna packed in olive oil $2
- 1 tbsp finely chopped red onion (about 1/8 medium red onion) $0.50 for a whole onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced Pantry
- 1/2 medium carrot, shredded (about 2 tbsp--if you use bagged shredded carrot, run a knife over it a few times before using) $0.25 for a whole carrot
- 1/2 ripe avocado, diced small $1.50 for a whole avocado
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger $0.50 for a small piece of ginger
- 1 tsp (plus more to taste) Sriracha $2.50 for a 17-oz bottle
- juice of 1/2 lime $0.50 for a whole lime
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- chopped fresh chives, parsley or cilantro for garnish optional
Recipe Serves 2
- Lightly toss together all ingredients and serve immediately or refrigerate for up to an hour before serving.
Leave a Comment
What They're Saying
David, on Dec 4, 09:29 AM, wrote:
Howdy! I’ve been coming to your site for it seems like a few years now, and I gotta say I’ve gotten some really great recipes from you.
I’m making this tonight, but I just want to say thank you for the fun recipes that are so finely compiled. Thanks!
Jennifer, on Dec 14, 06:53 AM, wrote:
I’m eating this for lunch right now. Delicious! Such a welcome and healthy change of pace from mayonnaise-y tuna salads.
Kitty, on Feb 25, 07:14 PM, wrote:
I just made this tonight. So delish! Thank you!
Simon, on Jul 11, 07:34 AM, wrote:
this was awesome. I much prefer this to mayo-heavy tuna salad. I added a dash of honey for sweetness and used green onions instead of red. The asian flavors made this recipe a new part of my weekday lunch rotation.
Kristen, on Oct 1, 02:26 PM, wrote:
I made this last night and my husband and I loved it! I bulked it up for dinner with double the tuna and doubled the ginger and sriracha to make up for the extra tuna. So super yummy! Definitely will make again.
fnaf, on May 10, 07:28 PM, wrote:
The salad recipe you shared is very specific, I will learn this from you.
8 ball, on Jun 16, 12:15 AM, wrote:
Your share is the great knowledge I have gathered, you are an important person I admire, thank you