Egg and Bacon Salad
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:20
- Estimated Cost $9.50
- 2 Comments
Eggs, bacon and potatoes make this hearty entree salad filling, while lemony greens keep it from being overwhelmingly so. This is a yummy, quick brunch, lunch or dinner, but make sure you make it just as you’re ready to eat it—it doesn’t keep well.
- 3 strips raw, uncured bacon $1
- 5 baby new potatoes, quartered $0.50
- 1 shallot, sliced $0.50
- 2 eggs $1.50 for 12
- juice of 1/2 lemon $0.50
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- 4 cups mixed greens $2
- 1 oz. crumbled feta cheese $3.50 for 8 oz
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 2
- Cook bacon in a dry frying pan over medium-high heat until crisp on both sides, 2-3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and set aside. Pour out 1/2 of the bacon fat. Once bacon has drained, chop or crumble it.
- Set the eggs in a pot of water to boil. I like them soft-boiled for this salad, but if you prefer a firmer yolk, feel free to hard-boil them. See here for specific instructions. Once eggs have finished cooking, rinse and peel them under cool running water.
- While the eggs boil, add the quartered baby new potatoes to the bacon fat in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Add sliced shallot to the pan and cook for another 1-2 minutes, until very fragrant. Taste a potato to make sure it's fully cooked. Once potatoes are cooked, remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk together the lemon juice and olive oil. Toss the greens with the dressing and divide between 2 plates.
- Top each plate of dressed greens with half of the potato-shallot mixture, half of the bacon, an egg sliced in half, a sprinkle of feta and salt and pepper to taste (go easy on the salt--the feta is plenty salty).
- Serve immediately.