Coconut Soup with Sweet Potatoes and Lime
- Prep Time 0:10
- Cook Time 0:20
- Estimated Cost $10.50
- 7 Comments
This soup manages to be rich and creamy, and somehow also cleansing and soothing—perfect Post-Super Bowl fare. Whether you’re still celebrating the Giants’ big win, or quietly mourning the Pats’ fall from grace (like I am), you still need to eat—preferably something quick and healthy. Add cubed firm tofu, a handful of plump shrimp or cooked, shredded chicken, if you want to add a little protein.
- 1 tbsp cooking oil (if you have coconut oil, it works nicely here) Pantry
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped Pantry
- 1 1" piece ginger, peeled and minced $0.50
- 1/2 medium red onion, chopped $0.50 for a whole onion
- zest and juice of 1 lime $0.50
- 1 quart vegetable (or chicken) broth $3.50
- 1 15-oz. can coconut milk $1.50
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (or more to taste) Pantry
- 2 tbsp brown sugar or honey Pantry
- 3 medium or 2 large sweet potatoes (garnet yams), scrubbed and diced into 1" pieces (leave the skin on) $3
- 1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped $1 for a bunch
- sliced green jalapeño optional
- Asian chili sauce optional
Recipe Serves 6
- Heat oil in a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, ginger, onion and lime zest and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes, until very fragrant.
- Stir in the lime juice, broth, coconut milk, soy sauce and brown sugar.
- Cover and bring to a light boil.
- Add the sweet potatoes, cover and cook for 12-14 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are fork-tender.
- Ladle the hot soup into bowls and serve, garnished with the cilantro and the jalapeño and chili sauce, if desired.
Leave a Comment
What They're Saying
Carrie, on Feb 11, 04:34 AM, wrote:
This looks yummy, when I saw it I went right home and made something similar – thanks for sharing!
Tricia, on Feb 13, 10:57 AM, wrote:
Made for dinner last night. Awesome-especially with a little garlic chili sauce!!!
Elizabeth Hills, on Feb 15, 12:13 PM, wrote:
Delicious and easy! Added shredded chicken and we loved it! Can’t wait to eat the left overs tonight!
Jackie, on Feb 16, 02:28 PM, wrote:
This soup was amazing. I pureed everything and it was the prettiest color.
sudoku online, on Nov 1, 08:33 PM, wrote:
a very cool dish in the summer and full of energy, thanks for your sharing I feel very delicious and successful
Deejay, on Nov 7, 02:50 AM, wrote:
This is a coconut soup, but as you can see, it’s also a meal. It’s a great way to use up some of the last of the sweet potatoes that are sitting in your fridge and it also makes for a filling lunch or dinner. You should try Pest Control Cleveland for getting help. The coconut milk allows the soup to be creamy without any cream or butter and because of the potatoes, it has more body than a traditional cream of tomato soup.
Deejay, on Dec 13, 10:41 PM, wrote:
Coconut soup with sweet potatoes and lime is a great way to start your day. If you are looking for something different, try this recipe. It’s a delicious combination of flavors that will make you fall in love with your new food. You should try this industrial refrigerator maintenance dallas for more ideas. If you like sweet potatoes, this recipe is perfect for you because it has so much flavor from the coconut milk and lime juice. You can also add some other spices if you want more flavor, but I would not add salt because it will make the soup too salty.