Cilantro Chicken Drumsticks over Mango Quinoa
- Prep Time 0:40
- Cook Time 0:40
- Estimated Cost $9.50
- 23 Comments
I could hardly believe my eyes when I picked up a package of free range chicken drumsticks at Trader Joe’s earlier this week and saw that 1.5 lbs cost just $2. Obviously I had to buy a package (or 2!). The sweet quinoa proved the perfect match for this simple and flavorful preparation of the meaty drumsticks.
Note: This chicken would also be delicious grilled.
- extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- juice and zest of 1 lime $0.50
- 1 small bunch cilantro (stems and leaves) $1
- 4 cloves garlic Pantry
- 6 chicken drumsticks $2
- pinch each salt and pepper Pantry
- 1/2 white onion, diced $0.50
- 1 cup quinoa $2 for 12 oz.
- 1 tbsp honey or sugar Pantry
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar $1.50 for 10 oz.
- 1 mango, diced $1
- 1 small bunch mint, chopped very finely $1
Recipe Serves 3-4
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a food processor or blender, combine 1/8 cup olive oil, lime juice and zest, cilantro and garlic. Puree until smooth. Set aside.
- Place chicken drumsticks in a baking dish. Rub cilantro mixture all over drumsticks. Cover dish tightly with foil and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes (up to 2 hours).
- Bake chicken, covered with foil, for 25 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for an additional 15 minutes. Place drumsticks briefly under broiler (2-3 minute) to achieve a brown exterior.
- To make the quinoa, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onions and cook just until fragrant--about 1 minute. Add 1quinoa and 2 cups water and cover. Once water comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until all water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and transfer quinoa mixture to a bowl. Refrigerate for 10 minutes to bring quinoa's temperature down.
- While quinoa refrigerates, whisk together 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, honey, rice vinegar and mint.
- Once quinoa has cooled slightly, toss with diced mango and olive oil-vinegar mixture.
- Serve chicken over mango quinoa.
Leave a Comment
What They're Saying
Jen, on Aug 11, 05:21 PM, wrote:
Well this is now cooking and it smells awesome! loving this website for easy meals that make my husband never want me to go back to work ;-)
Susan Cline, on Aug 26, 11:25 AM, wrote:
I made this the another night for dinner and it was great. I don’t have a food processor so I just diced up ingredients for the marinade very finely. The quinoa was perfect and I liked the tart addition of the mangos. It was my first time cooking quinoa but your instructions were very clear.