Chipotle-Cheddar Burgers with Cilantro Aioli
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:10
- 12 Comments
Taylor Swift may want to go Back to December, but not me. I actually thought December kind of sucked. Me, I’d rather jump a couple months ahead to, say April or May, when grilling and sunshine abound—at which point I will start making these burgers outside on a barbecue. Until the rain stops, however, I’ll just have to put on a sun dress and crack open a Corona in the warmth of my own kitchen and daydream about Spring while cooking these juicy, flavorful burgers on my little cast iron grill pan.
- 1 lb lean ground beef $4.50
- 1/2 white onion, chopped finely $0.50
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced, divided Pantry
- 1 chipotle pepper (canned in adobo), finely chopped, plus 1-2 spoonfuls of the sauce it comes packed in $2 for a 6-oz. can
- 6 oz. medium or sharp cheddar, cut into 1/2” cubes $3.50 for 8 oz
- salt and ground pepper Pantry
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise Pantry
- 1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, chopped very finely $1 for a bunch
Total Cost of Ingredients $11.50
Preheat grill to medium-high. Oil or spray lightly to avoid sticking.
In a mixing bow, combine beef, onion, 2 cloves garlic, the chipotle pepper and sauce, the chopped cheddar and 1/2 tsp each of salt and pepper. Mix well using your hands.
Shape the mixture into 4 patties and grill for 3-4 minutes on each side (at least long enough to melt the cheese).
While the burgers cook, whisk together the remaining garlic, mayonnaise, cilantro and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Serve the burgers on buns if desired, or on their own, topped with a dollop of the aioli.