Basil Meatballs in Buttery Tomato Sauce
- Prep Time 20 minutes
- Cook Time 1 hour
- Estimated Cost $9.50
- 4 Comments
As if you need reminding, today is the ten-year anniversary of 9/11.
I don’t know about you, but I sure can use some comfort food. The sauce in this recipe is based on Marcella Hazan’s (as interpreted by Smitten Kitchen). The meatballs are a Gabi original.
You could add grated Parmesan cheese if you wanted, but the sauce and meatballs are so rich, I doubt you will.
- 1 28-oz. can whole, peeled Roma tomatoes $2
- 5 tbsp unsalted butter $1 for a stick
- 1 onion, peeled and halved $0.50
- salt Pantry
- 1 lb ground beef (80/20 is fine) $3.50
- 1 egg 12 for $1.50
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped Pantry
- 1 small handful basil leaves, sliced thinly, plus more for garnish $1 for a bunch
- large pinch of freshly-ground black pepper Pantry
Recipe Serves Serves 2-3.
- Combine tomatoes, butter and onion in a medium pot over medium-high. Bring to a light boil, then turn heat down to medium-low so the sauce is simmering.
- Let cook, uncovered, for 40-45 minutes, until you see droplets of butterfat rise to the surface. Remove from heat.
- Use tongs to fish the onion out of the sauce and set it aside.
- Season sauce with salt to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Let the onion cool, then chop it very finely (or use a food processor for this). Place in a mixing bowl.
- To the onion, add a generous pinch of salt, the beef, the egg, the garlic, the basil leaves and the pepper.
- Use hands to mix well.
- Form into golf ball-sized balls and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes, until meatballs are cooked through, but juicy. Leave the oven on.
- Spoon the sauce into a medium baking dish or oven-proof bowl.
- Nestle the meatballs into the sauce, pop in the oven for just a few minutes to heat well, then serve immediately. You may also divide the sauce and meatballs between ramekins or smaller oven-proof bowls for individual servings.
- Top with more basil and serve.
Leave a Comment
What They're Saying
Get A Loan US, on Sep 11, 05:00 PM, wrote:
Thanks Gabi for this great post. I just clicked on your site from a frugality forum I belong to and lo and behold, I see my fav dish of all time: Meatballs. The image is mouth watering and this is a definite recipe I am going to try…and the price is definitely right…:) Thanks again and all the best.
Emily, on Sep 14, 10:04 AM, wrote:
These were amazing!!!
Licensed Insolvency Trustee Medicine Hat, on Jul 9, 01:59 PM, wrote:
Posts are all wonderful. Thank you for putting a lot of work into it.
majorsite, on Apr 13, 02:31 AM, wrote:
I saw your article well. You seem to enjoy majorsite for some reason. We can help you enjoy more fun. Welcome anytime :-)