Bacon-Spinach Soup with Parmesan
- Prep Time 0:10
- Cook Time 0:25
- Estimated Cost $10.50
- 3 Comments
This smoky, creamy, green soup is much more than the sum of its parts. Just a few strips of flavorful bacon transform a whopping 2 lbs of spinach into a decadent, addictive soup. Nutty Parmesan pulls it all together beautifully. Serve this with a salad and some crusty bread as an easy (but special) dinner.
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon, cut into 2" strips $2
- 1 medium onion, diced $0.50
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped Pantry
- 2 lbs fresh spinach, chopped $1.50
- 1 16-oz. can chicken broth $1.50
- 2/3 cup half-and-half *$1.50 for a pint
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, divided $3.50 for 10 oz.
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 4
- Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the bacon slices and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until brown.
- Remove 2 of the 2" strips and set aside (leave the rest in the pot).
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very fragrant.
- Add the spinach and cook, stirring continuously, for 4-5 minutes, until it begins to wilt.
- Add the chicken broth, stir well and cover pot.
- Cook, covered, for 15 minutes, until the spinach has broken down.
- Puree mixture, using a blender, food processor until completely smooth and return to the pot (this can also be done directly in the pot, using an immersion blender).
- Stir in the half-and-half and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until very creamy and thickened.
- Stir in 1/4 cup of the Parmesan and stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Crumble the reserved bacon pieces and set aside.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with a few pinches of the reserved Parmesan and a sprinkle of the crumbled bacon. Serve immediately.
Leave a Comment
What They're Saying
Beth, on Feb 22, 05:24 AM, wrote:
This looks just awesome. I love the color… definitely going to try this sometime!
Addy, on Mar 10, 02:27 AM, wrote:
I just made this for dinner and it was fantastic! I accidentally overcooked the spinach a tad, so the color wasn’t quite as vibrant, but it was still delicious.
Escorts Avellaneda, on Feb 10, 03:04 AM, wrote:
¡Acabo de hacer esto para la cena y se volvió fantástico! Accidentalmente cociné un poco las espinacas, por lo que el color no era tan vibrante, pero se volvió aún delicioso.