Baby Beet and Avocado Salad with Feta and Balsamic Onions
- Prep Time 0:30
- Estimated Cost $7.50
- 13 Comments
This pretty little salad is testament to the fact that sometimes it’s best to keep things simple. The dressing is nothing more than a squeeze of fresh lemon and a drizzle of fruity extra virgin olive oil, highlighting the inherent deliciousness of the beets, avocado, feta and perky balsamic onions.
I rarely buy prepared vegetables, but I have to admit, the Peeled and Steamed Beets from Trader Joe’s below are quite good.
Place sliced onion and balsamic vinegar in a bowl. Stir well to combine and refrigerate for at least 20 minutes (up to 2 hours).
- 1/2 medium red onion, very thinly sliced $0.50 for a whole onion
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar Pantry
- 6 baby beets, boiled, peeled and chilled (or 1 package of "Trader Joes' steamed and peeled baby beets (see headnote) $2
- 1 avocado, sliced $1.50
- extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- juice of 1 lemon $0.50 for a whole lemon
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste Pantry
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled $3
Recipe Serves 2-4
- Slice each beet into 6-8 wedges.
- Arrange beet and avocado slices on a large platter or divide evenly between 4 salad plates.
- Drain the onions and set aside.
- Drizzle beets and avocado lightly with olive oil and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Scatter the balsamic onions over the beets and avocado and top with the crumbled feta and more black pepper.
- Serve immediately.