Vegan Apple-Beet Soup
- Prep Time 0:25
- Cook Time 1:00
- Estimated Cost $5.00
- 12 Comments
I automatically like people a tiny bit more when I find out that they share my passion for beets. It may be irrational and inane, but it’s true.
This simple, vegan and wildly cheap recipe features beets in their sweetest, purest glory. If you want to get really crazy (and you aren’t really vegan), top with a dollop of Greek yogurt.
- 3 large beets, scrubbed, ends removed $2
- extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- 1 red onion, diced $0.50
- 4 cloves garlic, diced Pantry
- 1 1/2 " piece ginger, minced (about 2 tbsp)
- 2 sweet, crisp apples (such as Fuji), peeled, cored and diced $1
- juice and zest of 1 lemon $0.50
- 1 handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped $1 for a bunch
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 4-6
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place beets on a baking sheet and drizzle generously with olive oil. Rub to cover beets fully with oil. Roast in oven for 30-40 minutes, or until tender.
- Under cold running water, gently remove the beets' skins. Chop the skinless, roasted beets into 1" pieces and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. add onion, garlic, ginger and apples. Cook until very fragrant, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Add chopped beets and 4 cups water. Cover and allow to cook for 18-20 minutes, or until apples and beets are very soft.
- Add lemon juice and zest and parsley.
- Puree using a blender, food processor or immersion blender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot or chilled.