Udon Noodle-Peanut Salad
- Prep Time 0:20
- Cook Time 0:08
- Estimated Cost $12.50
- 4 Comments
This easy vegan salad combines all of my favorite flavors of Southeast Asian cooking: peanut, chili, mint and cilantro. Thick, chewy udon noodles, though Japanese, stand up well to this Vietnamese-influenced peanut dressing.
- 1/4 lb fresh udon noodles (or 2 single-serving packets), boiled and drained $2
- 4 oz. extra-firm tofu, cubed $1.50
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil Pantry
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, sliced thinly $1
- 2 carrots, shredded $1
- 1 small bunch mint, chopped $1
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped $1
- 3 tbsp peanut butter Pantry
- 2 tbsp soy sauce Pantry
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar $2 for 10 oz.
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or honey Pantry
- chili sauce to taste $3 for 8 oz.
Recipe Serves 2-3
- Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan over high heat. Cook tofu for 3-4 minutes or until golden-brown on the bottom. Flip and cook on the other side. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk together peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, brown sugar and chili sauce. Add a little water to bring to dressing consistency.
- Toss vegetables, herbs, noodles and tofu together with the dressing. Garnish with additional herbs and chili sauce if desired.