- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $10.00
- 7 Comments
I got a little overexcited today at Trader Joe’s. There I was, doing my regular shopping, picking up eggs, half-and-half, coffee, etc, when I stumbled upon mini hamburger buns in the bread aisle. In a pack of 8 for less than $1.50, I pretty much couldn’t resist. My very audible gasp of exhilaration made the cute guy shopping next to me snicker, but I didn’t care. I just threw them in my basket, made a dash for the ground turkey and the rest is history.
- 3/4 lb lean ground turkey $3
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided Pantry
- 1 onion, half diced, half sliced thinly $0.50
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Pantry
- 2 oz. white cheddar cheese, cut into 1/8" pieces $3.50 for 8 oz
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 8 miniature hamburger buns (or 3" dinner rolls) $1.50
- 1 avocado, sliced into 1" pieces $1.50
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a small frying pan over low. Add sliced onion and allow to caramelize while you prepare the rest of the recipe. This should take 12-15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the turkey, garlic, diced onion, cheddar cheese and a generous pinch of both salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix the ingredients thoroughly. Form mixture into 8 2" patties. Set on a clean plate. Be sure to wash your hands well after working with raw turkey.
- Brush a grill pan or cast iron pan with the remaining tbsp of olive oil and heat to medium-high heat. Place patties in pan and cook until firm on the inside and nicely grilled on the outside, about 4-5 minutes on each side. Cut open one burger to test done-ness before serving.
- To assemble burgers, place a miniature turkey burger on each bun's bottom half. Garnish each burger with caramelized onions and a couple of slices of avocado. Top with each bun's top half and secure with a toothpick if necessary.
Makes 8 sliders.