Thai Pumpkin-Beef Curry
- Prep Time 0:20
- Cook Time 1:30
- Estimated Cost $14.25
- 10 Comments
This is one of my favorite things to order when I go out for Thai food. The total ingredients cost is a little steep compared to most BrokeAss recipes, but don’t forget that a little jar of curry paste is enough to make several batches of curry.
Note: Check out Asian specialty grocery stores for the best deals on harder-to-find ingredients like coconut milk and fish sauce.
- 6 cups fresh pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1" cubes $4 for 1 small cutting pumpkin or 2 packages of pre-cut pumpkin pieces
- 1 tbsp flavorless oil, such as vegetable, coconut or grapeseed Pantry
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped Pantry
- 1 1" piece ginger, peeled and minced $0.50
- 1 medium onion, cut int 1" pieces $0.50
- 1/2 lb beef stew meat $3
- 1 14-oz. can coconut milk $1
- 2 tsp Thai red curry paste $2.50 for 4 oz.
- 1 tbsp soy or fish sauce Pantry
- 2 tsp honey Pantry
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1" pieces $1.50
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped $0.25
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, chopped $1 for a bunch
Recipe Serves 4
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spread the pumpkin out in an even layer on an ungreased baking sheet (use 2 if necessary) and roast for 45 minutes, just until pumpkin is fork-tender.
- About 20 minutes before the pumpkin is finished roasting, heat the oil over medium heat in a large frying pan (make sure it also has a fitted lid--you'll need it later).
- Add the garlic, ginger and onion and cook, stirring once or twice, for 2 minutes.
- Add the beef and brown lightly on both sides.
- Add the coconut milk, curry paste, soy/fish sauce and honey and stir well to make a pale red, creamy sauce.
- Add the bell pepper and jalapeño, stir contents of pan well, and cover with the fitted lid. Cook, covered, for about 15 minutes.
- Once the pumpkin is done, carefully add it to the pan. Stir well and cover again. Cook for another 12-15 minutes, until beef is very tender.
- Serve in bowls, over rice if desired, topped with the chopped cilantro.