Sweet Potato-Coconut Soup
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:30
- Estimated Cost $6.50
- 4 Comments
I am blessed with a happy, bustling social life. My friends are always up to something fun, and this weekend was no exception. On Friday night I went with my friends Brooke and Jason to see Mortified, on Saturday my brother ‘s rugby team put on a party at Danny Coyles and Sunday was spent wine-tasting in Napa with Brett and having dinner and drinks with Matt. My soul? Satisfied. My body? Exhausted and a little hung-over. The solution? A healthy, simple soup that will perk up my senses and soothe my achy head (and detoxify my liver). Delicious, fast, super-cheap.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed $1
- 1 small onion, diced $0.50
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Pantry
- 1 6-oz. can coconut milk $0.50
- juice and zest of 1 lime $0.50
- 4 cups (32 oz.) chicken or vegetable broth $2
- 1 green jalapeño, seeded and diced, plus a few slices for garnish $0.50
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped $1
- 1 small piece ginger, peeled and minced $0.50
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 2-3
- Combine all ingredients in a large soup pot and cover. Bring to a light boil. Reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are very soft. Puree in a blender, food processor directly in pot using an immersion blender.
- Ladle into bowls and serve garnished with a few slices of jalapeño.