Sweet Potato, Chicken and White Bean Stew
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:25
- 5 Comments
This easy, hearty stew is full of healthy fiber (thanks to the beans) and lean protein (courtesy of the chicken and the beans again), and is spiked with the sweet heat of chili powder and cumin. Top with the listed garnishes if you so desire and feel free to add shredded cheese, sour cream or fresh salsa.
Also, should a cup of this chili-esque stew happen to be poured over some tortilla chips and then topped with shredded aged cheddar and popped under the broiler and then topped with more onions, cilantro and avocado, it would not be the worst thing ever to happen. Just so you know.
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- 1 medium onion, diced (reserve a few pinches for garnish) $0.50
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped Pantry
- 1 medium sweet potato, scrubbed and diced $0.50
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into bite-size pieces $5
- 2 15-oz. cans white (cannellini or Great Northern) beans, rinsed and drained $2.50
- 1 tsp Ancho chili powder $1.50 for 1 oz.
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin $1.50 for 1 oz.
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Total Cost of Ingredients $10
Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic, sweet potato, chicken, beans, cumin and chili powder. Stir well and add water to cover (about 3 cups). Cover pot and cook for 18-20 minutes, or until sweet potato is soft and and chicken has cooked through.
Serve, garnished with the reserved onion, plus cilantro and/or avocado if desired.