- Prep Time 0:20
- Cook Time 0:30
- Estimated Cost $20.00
- 33 Comments
This simple risotto is warm and filling but also supple and delicate. We used simple button mushrooms, as they are the least expensive and most readily available, but feel free to get creative with fancier ones.
- 2 cups button mushrooms, sliced $3
- 1 cup frozen spinach, thawed and drained $1.50
- 3/4 cup half-and-half $1.50
- 3 14-oz cans vegetable or chicken stock $4
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil Pantry
- 1 medium white or yellow onion, chopped $1
- 1 3/4 cups arborio rice $5
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese $4
- salt and pepper Pantry
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and onions and sauté about 5 minutes. Lower heat to medium, add half-and-half, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add rice and stir. Add stock, slowly, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring frequently enough to keep the rice from sticking to the edges of the pan. Wait until the stock is almost completely absorbed before adding the next 1/2 cup. This process will take about 20 minutes. The rice should be just cooked and slightly chewy. Stir in a little water if necessary.
- Stir in the spinach, distributing evenly. Stir in the Parmesan cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.