Spicy Glazed Walnuts
- Prep Time 0:02
- Cook Time 0:06
- Estimated Cost $3.00
- 1 Comment
I have been known to be slightly controlling in the kitchen, so I make a point to delegate tasks when I cook with others so as to mitigate (or at least attempt to conceal) my tendency to take over. Last week, Alan executed this recipe beautifully and I was only minimally bossy about it.
- 1/4 lb walnut halves $1.50
- 1/8 cup sugar Pantry
- 2 tsp chili powder (more or less to taste) $1.50 for 1 oz.
- pinch of salt Pantry
- Heat a large dry frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Lightly toast walnuts in the pan for 1-2 minutes, turning pan occasionally to expose walnuts evenly.
- Mix sugar, chili powder and salt together in a small bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium and sprinkle nuts with sugar mixture. Stir gently to evenly coat nuts.
- Continue stirring occasionally, as sugar melts to encourage it to cling to the walnuts, 2-3 minutes.
- Spread glazed walnuts on wax or parchment paper and allow to cool.
- Once cool, break walnuts apart, using hands (the hardened caramel will make them stick together).
- Serve on salads or in a bowl, for snacking.
Makes about 1 cup glazed walnuts.