Shish Kabobs Over Thai Coconut Risotto
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:30
- Estimated Cost $13.50
- 37 Comments
One day I had a real hankering for coconut rice but only Italian arborio rice on hand. I got to thinking and I realized that there was no reason I couldn’t substitute coconut milk for the stock or cream used in regular risotto. The resulting dish was a smooth, creamy and vegan risotto that cost me no more than a few dollars and thoroughly impressed my friends. The tofu can be switched out for chicken, beef or shrimp when you’re dining with carnivores.
- 1 cup arborio rice $3
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, divided Pantry
- 1 14-oz can coconut milk $1.50
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut $1
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped $1
- juice and zest of 1 lime $0.50
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Pantry
- 4 scallions, sliced $1
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes $1.50 for 1 oz.
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1" cubes $1.50
- 6 oz. tofu, cut into 1" cubes $1.50
- 1 cup broccoli florets $1
- soy sauce Pantry
Recipe Serves 2
- Heat one tbsp of the vegetable oil over medium-high heat in a medium saucepan. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute or until soft. Add the rice and allow to toast lightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in the shredded coconut and red pepper flakes. Slowly stir in 3 cups water, 1/2 cup at a time until fully absorbed (this will take about 20 minutes). Add the coconut milk slowly (1/2 cup at a time) until fully absorbed. When the rice is soft and the consistency is creamy, stir in the lime juice and zest, 1/2 of the cilantro and 1/2 of the scallions (reserve the rest for garnish). Cover the risotto and keep over the lowest flame until ready to serve.
- To prepare the shish kabobs, skewer the broccoli florets, tofu, and red peppers in whatever order you like on 6 wooden or metal skewers. Drizzle with a little soy sauce. Heat the remaining vegetable oil in a grill pan or a heavy skillet over high heat. Set the skewers in the hot pan and allow to cook for 2-3 minutes on each side.
- To serve, divide the risotto between 2 plates and serve the skewers atop the risotto. Garnish with the remaining scallions and cilantro.