Savory Summer Squash Griddle Cakes
- Prep Time 0:15
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $7.50
- 6 Comments
This perfect summer appetizer is a wonderful alternative to potato pancakes. Serve as a starter for an alfresco dinner, as a side dish, or even with poached eggs and Hollandaise sauce for a unique brunch.
- 2-3 medium summer squashes/zucchinis with peel, shredded $1
- 2 cloves garlic, minced Pantry
- 1 small white onion, minced $0.50
- 3 tbsp bread crumbs $1.50 for 12 oz.
- 1/8 cup sharp white cheddar cheese, grated $3
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 1 egg, lightly beaten $1.50 for 6
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil for frying Pantry
Recipe Serves 2-4
- Place the shredded squash in the middle of a clean dish towel. Fold up the towel and squeeze the liquid out so that the squash is mostly dry.
- Combine squash, garlic, onion, bread crumbs, cheddar, egg, salt and pepper in a large bowl until fully incorporated. Form into 3" patties, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large frying pan. Cook the patties, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they become crisp and brown on both sides.
- Keep warm in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve.