Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Goat Cheese over Pasta
- Prep Time 0:05
- Cook Time 0:20
- Estimated Cost $10.50
- 7 Comments
Much to the disappointment of my mother, I never liked Brussels sprouts as a kid. It wasn’t until I tried them roasted with plenty of garlic and lemon that I truly fell in love with this peculiar vegetable.
This pasta is healthy and simple while also being deeply satisfying and hearty. If you must have meat with it, add pieces of grilled chicken breast or sausage (though I don’t think it needs it).
BrokeAss Hint: Save the little cups or packets of red pepper flakes whenever you order pizza and use them in recipes like this one.
- 1 lb whole wheat spaghetti $1.50
- 15 Brussels sprouts, cleaned and halved $2
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved $1
- 3 cloves garlic, minced Pantry
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided Pantry
- zest and juice of one lemon $0.50
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese $4
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes $1.50 for 1 oz.
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 4
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, toss together the Brussels sprouts, garlic, lemon zest and juice and 1 tbsp of the olive oil until well-coated. Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes.
- While the sprouts roast, cook the pasta according to directions in salted water until al dente. Drain.
- Toss the pasta together with the remaining olive oil, tomatoes, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the goat cheese over the top.