Perfect Stir Fry Over Toasted Coconut Rice
- Prep Time 0:25
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $13.50
- 36 Comments
Truthfully, I hardly ever stir fry—I’m usually more interested in more complicated, impressive recipes. But recently, someone asked me for my very best stir fry recipe, and so I set about perfecting. This bright and flavorful presentation features vegetables that are cooked yet crisp and chicken that is tender and juicy—not dried out as is often the case with stir fries. The sauce is slightly sweet with a hint of lime, and the coconut rice serves as the perfect bed for the chicken-veggie mixture. Feel free to switch up the vegetables and protein and/or substitute brown rice.
- 1 cup dry Basmati rice $2 for 16 oz.
- 1 14-oz. can coconut milk $1
- salt to taste Pantry
- 1/8 cup unsweetened shredded coconut $1
- 1/4 cup soy sauce Pantry
- 2 tbsp honey Pantry
- juice of 1 lime $0.50
- 1 tbsp cornstarch $1.50 for 16 oz.
- 1 tbsp vegetable or canola oil Pantry
- 1 small piece ginger, peeled and minced (about 1 tbsp) $0.50
- 4 cloves garlic, minced Pantry
- 1 small onion, diced $0.50
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into 1" pieces $6
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets $0.50
- 2 zucchinis, sliced $1
- 10 Crimini mushrooms, sliced $2 for 12 oz.
- 4 cups fresh spinach $2
- 4 scallions, sliced $1 for a bunch
Recipe Serves 2-3
- Rinse rice well in a strainer. Transfer to a pot. Add coconut milk, 1/2 cup water and a pinch of salt. Stir well and cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 18-20 minutes, or until all liquid is absorbed.
- While rice cooks, heat a dry skillet over high heat. Add coconut and toast lightly, until coconut turns golden-brown. Shake the pan around a few times to ensure all coconut is toasted. Remove from heat.
- Stir toasted coconut into cooked rice. Season with additional salt if desired.
- Whisk together soy sauce, honey, lime juice and cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger and onions and cook for 1 minute, just until fragrant. Add chicken pieces and cook for 1-2 minutes. Pour sauce over chicken. Add broccoli, zucchini and mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until chicken has cooked through. Turn off heat and stir in spinach. Continue stirring, encouraging the spinach to wilt.
- Serve stir fry over the coconut rice, garnished with sliced scallions. Serve Asian chili sauce alongside if desired.