Ms. Morrow's Fried Okra
- Prep Time 0:05
- Cook Time 0:08
- Estimated Cost $6.00
- 5 Comments
Katie and I are on a road trip, moving her from Nashville to Sonoma. We just finished the first leg of our trip to New Orleans, where we will have cold beer and hot gumbo tonight. But first, a recipe…
Last night, Katie’s mother, Elizabeth, had a big dinner in Katie’s honor, featuring, at Katie’s request, fried okra. You can find photos of Elizabeth putting it all together on the BrokeAss Gourmet Facebook page , but meanwhile, check out her simple, delicious recipe for fried okra. I heart Southern hospitality!
- 1 lb fresh okra, cleaned stems removed, diced into 3/4" pieces $3
- 1 cup cornmeal mix $3 for a 4 lb bag
- vegetable or canola oil for frying Pantry
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 4-6
- Heat about 2" vegetable oil in a deep frying pan over medium-high heat.
- While oil heats, dredge okra pieces in cornmeal mix either in a plastic bag or in a bowl. Shake off excess.
- Fry the okra pieces, working in batches, until brown and crispy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove cooked okra from hot oil using a metal slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.