Mazel Tov Cocktail
- Prep Time 3 minutes
- Cook Time 15 minutes
- Estimated Cost $14
- 90 Comments
I don't normally break this recipe out until Passover (you may recognize it from the time I shared it on my dear friend Tori Avey's website), but, in case you haven't been online yet today, Trump surrogate Scottie Nell Hughes referred to the the Molotov cocktails in the Jay-Z and Kanye West video, "No Church in the Wild" as "Mazel Tov cocktails," and, well, I couldn't help myself.
I won't comment much on the election here (if you follow me on Twitter, Instagram, or my personal Facebook page, you know exactly where I stand), but I think we can all agree that, regardless of what happens tomorrow, we're all going to need a big icy cup (or three) of what I am now officially dubbing the "Mazel Tov Cocktail."
Tip: make the syrup today (a nice reprieve from refreshing political polls all day), and you'll be ready to make a big batch of these on election night.
Start by reducing some classic Concord Grape Manischewitz in a small pot over medium-high heat.
We're making a syrup here. Yep, that's right: we're making cloyingly sweet Manischewitz even sweeter (trust me).
Next, we need to get out our cocktail shaker and fill it with 2 teaspoons of the syrup, plus blood orange juice (you can use any kind of orange juice you like -- have fun with the symbolism), and vodka.
Then shake that sucker up, strain it, and serve it in a pretty glass.
Oh, and in case you haven't done so yet, MAKE A PLAN TO VOTE!
- 1 cup Concord Grape Manischewitz wine $5 for 24 ounces
- 2 oz vodka $8 for 12 ounces
- 1 blood orange (or regular orange) (half juiced, half sliced) $1
To Make the Syrup
- Pour the Manischewitz into a small saucepan and place over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let cook until thickened and syrupy, about fifteen minutes.
- Let syrup cool completely.
To Make the Cocktail
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, then add the Manischewitz syrup, vodka, and blood orange juice.
- Shake well until mixed and well-chilled.
- Strain into a glass and garnish with the blood orange slice.
- Serve immediately.