Kale Caesar Salad
- Prep Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $9
- 3 Comments
Earthy kale, as it turns out, stands up wonderfully to this bold, creamy dressing.
I am loving massaged kale. A few gentle squeezes of these deeply flavorful, healthy leaves, plus a drizzle of dressing that includes an acid like vinegar or lemon juice, yields a softened, antioxidant-rich green. Earthy kale, as it turns out, stands up wonderfully to this bold, creamy dressing. I topped mine with a few fresh croutons, but it'd be great with cooked, cooled veggies like beets or sweet potatoes. It's also be perfect left as is.
- 1 clove garlic, smashed Pantry
- 3 anchovy fillets plus more for garnish $2 for a 2 oz. tin
- 1 egg yolk $1.50 for 6 eggs
- juice and zest of 1 lemon $0.50
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- 1/8 cup shaved Parmesan, plus extra for garnish $3.50 for 12 oz.
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 1 large bunch kale (stems removed) $1.50
- croutons, optional
Recipe Serves 4
- Combine garlic, anchovy fillets, egg yolk, lemon juice and zest in a blender or food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- With machine running, slowly stream in olive oil until dressing is very creamy and thick. Add Parmesan and pulse until dressing is slightly chunky but well-combined, about 45 seconds.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the kale leaves in a large bowl and squeeze a few times to soften.
- Toss with the dressing and a pinches of additional Parmesan.
- Top with croutons, if desired and serve immediately.