- Prep Time 0:05
- Cook Time 0:07
- Estimated Cost $13.50
- 10 Comments
When I think of hipsters, I think of skinny black jeans, pretentiousness, bad haircuts and sausages. Yes, sausages. Think about it—sausages are just unclassy enough to seem ironic (hipsters like doing anything ironically), yet overpriced gourmet sausages abound (hipsters also like spending money unnecessarily). Plus any hipster bar worth its salt is within walking distance of a good late-night sausage cart. And not that I’m suggesting anything, but this dish is easy enough that it could probably be thrown together fairly successfully after a night of binge-drinking PBR.
- 2 gourmet sausages, any kind $4
- 2 sprouted-grain hot dog buns $3 for 6
- 1/4 cup shredded Muenster, jack or other semi-soft cheese $3
- fancy mustard (I like sweet-hot) $3
- 1/4 onion, diced $0.50
- 1 tsp olive oil Pantry
Recipe Serves 2
- Split the sausages in half lengthwise. Heat the olive oil in a grill pan over high heat. Cook the sausages for 2-3 minutes on each side until plump, with grill-marks on both sides.
- While the sausages cook, split the buns and toast them in the toaster oven or regular oven (at about 400 degrees F). Once toasted, spread with mustard.
- Assemble the sausages in the hot dog buns and top with the cheese and onions. Place the assembled dogs under a broiler set to high (this can also be done in a small toaster oven) for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted.