Happy Heart Salads
- Prep Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $4.50
- 7 Comments
You can keep your flourless chocolate cakes, your tired box of mass-produced chocolate, your supermarket roses and your chalky, too-sweet love-phrase candies. They do nothing for me.
But make me a smiling vegetable heart this Valentines Day, drizzled with just a touch of fruity, heart-healthy extra virgin olive oil, and I will be yours forever.
- 1 large avocado, sliced $1.50
- 2 carrots, shredded $0.50
- 4 round slices of cucumber $1 for a whole cucumber
- 4 small broccoli florets $1 for a bunch of broccoli
- a few slices of red onion $0.50 for a whole onion
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil Pantry
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
Recipe Serves 2
- Arrange half of the avocado slices on a salad plate in a heart (hint: put the rounder pieces in the "valley" of the heart).
- Use a damp paper towel to wipe away any excess.
- Repeat with the remaining avocado on a second salad plate.
- Divide the carrot between the two avocado hearts to fill in the centers.
- Make the cucumber/broccoli eyes and red onion smile as pictured.
- Drizzle the hearts with 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil each, and top with a light sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.