Grilled Steak Salad with Watermelon and Macadamia Nuts
- Prep Time 0:20
- Cook Time 0:10
- Estimated Cost $10
- 7 Comments
Sweet watermelon and rich, crunchy macadamias pair perfectly with juicy, flavorful and awesomely affordable grilled skirt steak. A tangy lemon-mint dressing pulls it all together. I can think of nothing I’d rather eat for dinner on a hot summer night.
- 2 tbsp fresh mint leaves, finely chopped (about 1 handful), plus more for garnish $1 for a bunch
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced Pantry
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing the grill/grill pan Pantry
- juice of 1 lemon $0.50
- 1 tsp honey Pantry
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 8 oz. skirt steak $4.50
- 3 cups mixed greens $1.50
- 2 cups cubed seedless watermelon (about 1/2 seedless baby watermelon) $3.50 for 1 seedless baby watermelon
- 1 large handful roasted macadamia nuts $2.50 - buy in the bulk section
Recipe Serves 2-4
- In a small bowl, whisk together mint, garlic, olive oil, lemon, honey and salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Season skirt steak with salt and pepper on both sides. Lightly brush a grill or grill pan with olive oil and heat to medium-high heat.
- Grill steak to desired done-ness, transfer to a cutting board and allow to rest for 5 minutes (this helps keep it juicy).
- Slice steak into strips.
- To assemble salad, toss the greens with the prepared dressing and divide dressed greens amongst 2 large plates (for full-meal portions) or 4 small plates (for 4 starter salads).
- Top each plate of greens with equal portions of watermelon, steak, macadamias and mint to garnish.
- Top each with a healthy dose of freshly-ground black pepper and serve immediately.