Gingered Tuna Salad with Avocado and Sriracha
- Prep Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $7.75
- 10 Comments
Everyone talks about gaining weight during the holiday season, but I have a hard time believing that a little over-indulgence on Thanksgiving, the winter holidays and New Years results in a national average of 7-10 pounds of extra weight. Rather, I think the issue is that people start indulging on Thanksgiving and then don’t stop until January 2nd. And yeah, a full month of eating like crap will pack on the pounds.
So this year, I say let’s try to get a jump-start on our New Years resolutions and eat as healthfully as possible for the month of December (save for a buttery Christmas goose here and some golden latkes there). This tuna salad is full of healthy fats, devoid of empty carbs and chock-full of flavor. I ate it in endive cups, but you could also wrap it in a whole grain tortilla, mound it over greens or just eat it straight out of the bowl.
- 1 5-oz can tuna packed in olive oil $2
- 1 tbsp finely chopped red onion (about 1/8 medium red onion) $0.50 for a whole onion
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced Pantry
- 1/2 medium carrot, shredded (about 2 tbsp--if you use bagged shredded carrot, run a knife over it a few times before using) $0.25 for a whole carrot
- 1/2 ripe avocado, diced small $1.50 for a whole avocado
- 1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger $0.50 for a small piece of ginger
- 1 tsp (plus more to taste) Sriracha $2.50 for a 17-oz bottle
- juice of 1/2 lime $0.50 for a whole lime
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- chopped fresh chives, parsley or cilantro for garnish optional
Recipe Serves 2
- Lightly toss together all ingredients and serve immediately or refrigerate for up to an hour before serving.