Ginger Peanut Soup
- Prep Time 0:10
- Cook Time 0:30
- Estimated Cost $11.50
- 12 Comments
Do you ever find yourself feigning affection for spring rolls, just so you can get closer to their more desirable sister, peanut sauce? Do you neglect the jelly side of childhood’s classic P.B. & J. sandwich? Are you the type of person who eats all the peanuts out of the trail mix, instead of the fake M&M’S?! If so, then this is the soup you have been waiting for! A simple, frugal and flavorful feast, this recipe is a hit with anyone who is a friend to the world’s most famous nut-impostor: the peanut (this bad boy is actually a legume!). Packed with way more nutrition than any Snickers or Payday bar, this soup is a veggie-friendly way to meet your protein needs, not to mention get some nervous system-lovin’ B vitamins and wrinkle-fightin’ Coenzyme Q10! A bold and alluring blend of spicy and sweet flavors, this soup is sure to comfort and excite your taste buds (and your wallet.)
FYI, organic peanut butter is HIGHLY recommended, as conventional peanuts are heavily sprayed with pesticides and herbicides, and that is no good for your tummy or your wallet (yuck!).
This recipe is adapted from How It All Vegan by Tanya Barnard & Sarah Kramer.
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets $2
- 2 medium-sized carrots, cut into coins $1
- 1 tbsp. fresh ginger, grated $1
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped Pantry
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper $1.50 for 1 oz
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil $1.50 for 1 oz
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper $1.50 for 1 oz.
- 1/2 tsp. salt Pantry
- 1/2 tsp. pepper Pantry
- 2 tbsp. olive oil Pantry
- 1 14-oz can vegetarian vegetable stock $1
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes $2
- 6 tablespoons peanut butter Pantry
Recipe Serves 4
- In a large soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the broccoli, carrots, ginger, garlic and spices until veggies are tender. Add the stock, tomatoes, and peanuts butter. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.