Elliot's Bananas in Caramel Sauce
- Prep Time 0:05
- Cook Time 0:15
- Estimated Cost $3.00
- 7 Comments
This super-fast, uber-decadent dessert is bottom-of-the-bowl-lickingly good, ready in minutes and the perfect way to impress your date, friends, coworkers or, in my case, eleven-year-old babysitting charge, Elliot.
Elliot would like you to know that this sauce is also delicious with peaches, pears or apples. We haven’t tried berries yet, but that would probably be good too.
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter $1 for a stick
- 2/3 cup sugar Pantry
- pinch of salt Pantry
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream $1.50 for a half-pint
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced into 1/2"-thick slices $0.50
- In a medium frying pan over medium heat, melt the butter and swirl it all over the pan.
- Sprinkle the sugar and salt over the melted butter and stir gently. It should look like wet sand. Cook this mixture, stirring very occasionally, until it begins to melt. As it melts, scrape the sides of the pan down, using a rubber scraper. Continue doing this until the mixture is completely melted.
- Gently whisk the mixture while you pour in the cream. Continue whisking as long as you can--the sugar will clump and harden at first. Let it melt, then start stirring again. Continue cooking until you have a creamy, golden-brown caramel sauce.
- Add the sliced bananas and arrange in the pan so they are submerged. Cook for 1-2 minutes, just until bananas have softened. Remove from heat.
- Let cool for 2-3 minutes, then serve over ice cream (preferably vanilla).