Curried Chicken-Cheddar Turnovers
- Prep Time 0:30
- Cook Time 0:30
- 19 Comments
If it weren’t pouring here in San Francisco, I would pack cheesy, savory little treats, along with some fresh fruit and a 6-pack of PBR into a picnic basket and head to the park for a picnic. Since, however, the weather is refusing to cooperate, I will have to do so in the living room of my apartment.
The people-watching isn’t great, but you can’t beat the proximity to the bathroom.
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled cubed, cooked and smashed (about 1 1/2 cups) $0.50
- 1 large chicken breast, cooked, cooled and chopped $2.50
- 1/4 cup frozen green peas $1.50 for 10 oz.
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese $3.50 for 8 oz.
- 3 scallions, chopped $1 for a bunch
- 2 1/2 tbsp curry powder $1.50 for 1 oz.
- salt and pepper to taste Pantry
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pan and for rolling Pantry
- 1 tsp salt Pantry
- 1 stick (4 oz) very cold butter, cut into small pieces $1
Total Cost of Ingredients $11.50
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly flour a baking sheet and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine mashed sweet potato, chicken, green peas, cheese, scallions, curry powder and salt and pepper to taste Set aside.
Combine flour and salt in a bowl or food processor. Cut in the butter, using 2 forks (or by pulsing the food processor), Stream 1/4 cup ice water (or more, as needed) just until the dough comes together. Refrigerate until ready to use, or immediately turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
Divide the dough into 4 balls and roll each one out on a lightly floured surface into an 6” circle.
Place 1/4 filling on one half of a dough circle and fold dough over, to make a half-moon. Pinch edges gently, to seal. Dip a fork in a bit of flour and gently press the back of it against the seal to create a scalloped edge. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
Use a sharp knife to make a cross (or other design) on the top of each turnover. This will allow air to escape and keep turnovers from bursting in the oven.
Bake for 27-30 minutes, or until turnovers are golden brown and crisp.
Makes 4 turnovers.